2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it going to be as droopy this year, I remember checking your pics last summer! It looked like you had a sturgeon on.
-Ander

Hopefully not. I upgraded my posts to AL antennae posts. I really like the 4x4 wood post but SWMBO pitched a fit about the appearance. Can't figure why. Wood is so classic in appearance. fingers x-ed

I have nothing to photograph yet. Just planted my rhizomes last weekend. Sadly I had stored my rhizomes in the fridge for 3 weeks due to nasty weather. My centenial and williamette 'appeared' healthy but the cascade looked a little dry by the time I was able to plant them. Thankfully hops are supposedly hardy plants.

Funny thing is I still haven't figured out how in the world I am going to attach twine or anything else to the roof of my house.

I have nothing to photograph yet. Just planted my rhizomes last weekend. Sadly I had stored my rhizomes in the fridge for 3 weeks due to nasty weather. My centenial and williamette 'appeared' healthy but the cascade looked a little dry by the time I was able to plant them. Thankfully hops are supposedly hardy plants.

Funny thing is I still haven't figured out how in the world I am going to attach twine or anything else to the roof of my house.

You don't have to... I use tomato cages and one big pole and two smaller ones on either side. The strings are multi-stranded and connected all together in an "A" shape. I also put three strings going up from the cages to the main line. Its pretty simple.

Pic of hop garden this AM:

P1030594.jpg

P1030597.jpg

My Centennial hops. So I have one rhizome, one planter. You could say I put all of my "hop" into one basket. I will attach a hook somewhere along the facia so they have at least 12 feet to grow and then I will start to lower the string. The side of the house gets sun for at least 5 hours a day but the planter gets sun all day long.

3312_868524268264_2344016_53243739_217223_n.jpg

3312_868524278244_2344016_53243741_1402589_n.jpg

3312_868524288224_2344016_53243742_987135_n.jpg

Got a question for the seasoned growers out there. Has anyone noticed first year bines coming up away from where the rhizome was planted?

I have some Zeus, Cascade and Centennials that were all planted in the center of my planting circles (over 18 inches diameter) and added mulch on top.

Each sprout/bine is coming up near the outer edge of the mulch, and seem to be healthy.

I just found it strange that they are poppin up 9 inches away?

Anyone ever see this before?

As they get older they will shoot bines out a couple of feet away. As soon as I see that I get out the clippers but with a first year plant I would just let them do their thing. My first year I made the mistake of putting the trellis up and putting in the twine before they came up. They came up quite a ways away from where I thought and it took a few weeks (maybe a month) before they were long enough to reach the twine.

I believe that this is one of the reasons for planting them in a hill in the first place. As the crown continues to send out shoots laterally, they end up popping out of the side of the mound. They can then be monitored and nipped in the bud so to speak before they take over.

cool, just thought I was going nuts. I did the same, buried them (in the center), mulched, then ran my lines.

Then they come up a little ways away. Just thought it was crazy for first year bines.

My Willamette is the only one getting about 8 hours of direct sun right now and you can really tell. It has grown quite a bit more since this picture last Saturday too. The others are probably 5-6 hours of direct sun.

IMG_5700.JPG

cl3501074.jpg

I used chain-link top rail, attached to existing fenceposts.
cl3501077.jpg

Cascades
cl3501089.jpg

My asst. gardener Ian with his favorite hops
101_1199.jpg

My neighbor thought I was putting up a net to keep balls from going over the fence.

All hops 2nd year- 1 Sterling, 2 Centennials, 1 Cascade, 1 Willamette, 1 Zeus, and 2 Fuggles.
Next year all will be leaving the pots, and planted in hills right where they are now.

Got a question for the seasoned growers out there. Has anyone noticed first year bines coming up away from where the rhizome was planted?

I have some Zeus, Cascade and Centennials that were all planted in the center of my planting circles (over 18 inches diameter) and added mulch on top.

Each sprout/bine is coming up near the outer edge of the mulch, and seem to be healthy.

I just found it strange that they are poppin up 9 inches away?

Anyone ever see this before?

No surprise at all! After the first year that twiggy little rhisome you planted can spread out in every direction and by the end of the year may reach 4 foot across. Keep in mind, that while these plants are vigorously reaching for the skies above ground, they are also reaching out below ground to set their anchors, propogate, and multiply.

After a couple years, it is good practice to think about root pruning, lest a few years go by and you find you have hops emerge 10 to 15 feet away from where you originally planted.

I dunno the actual stats but, I have read that the hop plant puts anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 of it's energy into propogating itself underground while the plant is also focusing itself on upward growth. Once it starts putting on laterals and burrs, it starts to switch gears and gradually focuses it's strength on the bloom production.

Calpyro, just noticed the location in your signature...that's awesome. I figured you were somewhere in CA with those big oak trees in the background. :D

First year grower here. Hops have been in pots about one month now. Weather has finally been nice for about 2 weeks now. The first week I planted I had to pull the containers into the garage for 2 days due to cold conditions. They still sprouted within 10 days of planting. They get sun about 8 hours a day right now...

*please ingore the crappy (lack-of) landscaping, we're getting there! :)*

Hallertau has been growing nicely.

05-02_Hall.jpg

Willemette slowed down recently and started looking dry even though we've been getting lots of rain. I chemically fertilized about 2 weeks ago but I recently put down some horse manure too and the Willemette started back up.

05-02_Will.jpg

Here's the over-all view. It's about 15 feet to the top of the rope. Harvesting (if there is any this year) should be pretty easy with the window right there. Either hang out the window or un clip the rope and let the bines down carfully.

05-02_Both.jpg

Sad to see, but this is all that's happening as of yesterday. Most of that green is just wild carrot. I hate weeding!

apr08.jpg

And another week of cold and wet predicted. I'm trying something different with the yarn this year, I staggered the attachment points on the T-bars.

must be the radiant heat from the siding on your house.... Mine are not much better than Mr Oregon above you. 6-10 inch bines that aren't long enough to train on the twine...

First year... so I'm hoping that's it rather than something else... Like a "Brown" thumb for growing hops...

these are two weeks old.

All but the Zuess took off. The Mt Hood is the most prolific. It is now at 3' of growth!

My grandfather gave me some a few weeks ago. He took a shovel and just dug up a chunk of ground around the shoots. So far they have grown quite a bit.

100_3254.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3257.jpg

100_3260.jpg

100_3260.jpg

my first year. hadn't planned on going so tall initially, but stumbled onto a really good deal on 20 Ft 4x6's at our local feed store.

1 Mnt Hood
2 N Brewer
2 Williamette
2 Fuggle
1 Nugget
4 Cascade
4 Chinook

spring1012-1.jpg

spring1009-2.jpg

Looking better than my last post:

Overview with the new garden boxes in front:
P5050205.jpg

Right row (Back to Front): Hallertauer, Golding, Centennial, Cascade
Left row: Northern Brewer, Fuggle, Nugget:
P5050206.jpg

Cascades looking kinda weird:
P5050207.jpg

Close-up of Cascade leaf:
P5050208.jpg

Hallertau (also looking kinda weird):
P5050211.jpg

Soil tests showed low nitrogen, which amazed me since I planted with a bunch of compost/manure, Neutral/slightly alkaline pH, high phosphorous, and average potassium. I'm thinking the curling leaves might just be a function of the cooler nights here still. Either way, added a bit 'o fertilizer to correct the supposed low nitrogen.

my first year. hadn't planned on going so tall initially, but stumbled onto a really good deal on 20 Ft 4x6's at our local feed store.

1 Mnt Hood
2 N Brewer
2 Williamette
2 Fuggle
1 Nugget
4 Cascade
4 Chinook

spring1012-1.jpg

spring1009-2.jpg

Congrats! Awesome setup... plus you've already done a better job dead ending your hops than a CATV company does cables... :)

My Willamette is way ahead of any other plant I have and is starting to train itself around the 2x2 it will travel up.

I will get some pic up soon but they are only 1st year hops. I think it is a direct correlation to how much sun it gets compared to the other plants I have. I think it gets a solid 8 hours of direct sun where the others are more like 6 or maybe less. The days are definitely getting longer and I trimmed a neighbors tree that was blocking a little late sun from hitting them so hopefully they will start chugging along here soon.

I will have to get some pics when I get back home in a cpl. days. Mine are between 6' and 8' tall. The leaves on te Mt Hood are about 4" across!! They are HUGE

I will have to get some pics when I get back home in a cpl. days. Mine are between 6' and 8' tall. The leaves on te Mt Hood are about 4" across!! They are HUGE

That's excellent Pol. :mug:
I got my rhizomes shipped to me late, it seems. I figured I wouldn't get much the first year anyway. Next year should be good though.

I'm starting to wonder if Mt. Hood is a great variety for us midwest growers. My MH has been my most prolific grower of the second years from the get go this year. It's about three feet up the rope and it sent up the most(20+) shoots.

Back