2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is my trellis.

IMG_0298_2.jpg

IMG_0299_2.jpg

IMG_0300_2.jpg

IMG_0301_2.jpg

Still need to cut last years off.

The Chinook we thought went into the ground too early has poked through!
2pry9hf.jpg

The Cascade only went into the ground a week ago, so stay tuned!

My plants a dying. The leaves started curling under, then the edges began to brown and now some have simply wilted and are falling over themselves. They have been in planters for a month with potting soil. I just added some fertilizer I think it was 18-24-8...it was all I had and it seemed like a phosphorus deficiency. I added very little...hoping it rejuvenates them or I'll have to order some more.

My plants a dying. The leaves started curling under, then the edges began to brown and now some have simply wilted and are falling over themselves. They have been in planters for a month with potting soil. I just added some fertilizer I think it was 18-24-8...it was all I had and it seemed like a phosphorus deficiency. I added very little...hoping it rejuvenates them or I'll have to order some more.

It could also be a potassium deficiency. Hop Disease and Pest Symptoms

Yea I saw that, hoping the fertilizer helps and I should get them in the ground in a week or two so that should help too. If they are still looking bad should I still plant them or try new rhizomes?

I think you should plant them and see how it goes. How big were the containers?

Cascade is just taking off. The weather has warmed up some and this one grew about 12" today. The centennials aren't far behind!

DSCF0133.JPG

DSCF0134.JPG

I think you should plant them and see how it goes. How big were the containers?

They are something like 12 inches. I'm wondering if putting them outside on easter sunday messed them up, it was cold and windy and a lot of them bent in half. I guess I'll plant them as soon as I can and see how it goes.

Cascade is just taking off. The weather has warmed up some and this one grew about 12" today. The centennials aren't far behind!

DSCF0133.JPG

DSCF0134.JPG

Are these first year hops? Mine haven't done anything except poke their noses out of the ground a couple of inches and haven't gone any farther.

I wonder if I am water them too much. I am going to let them dry a little and since today is going to be like 96* that should do it.

Are these first year hops? Mine haven't done anything except poke their noses out of the ground a couple of inches and haven't gone any farther.

I wonder if I am water them too much. I am going to let them dry a little and since today is going to be like 96* that should do it.

These are second year. My first year took a bit longer to get started, but I think that's just because they weren't in the ground until mid-march. As soon as you hit 90 degree days for a couple of weeks, watch out!

These are second year. My first year took a bit longer to get started, but I think that's just because they weren't in the ground until mid-march. As soon as you hit 90 degree days for a couple of weeks, watch out!

Yep, I am a few hours south of you. The back yard was 90 sat, 94 sun, 96 mon, 98 today and 92 tomorrow. I hope they get long enough to train soon.

P.S. It is getting hard to drink the Porter I have 4/5 ths a keg of with this weather :(

Yep, I am a few hours south of you. The back yard was 90 sat, 94 sun, 96 mon, 98 today and 92 tomorrow. I hope they get long enough to train soon.

P.S. It is getting hard to drink the Porter I have 4/5 ths a keg of with this weather :(

With those temps, sounds like you are located around Modesto! It's been pretty warm up here too...but it should be cooling off to mid 70s by thursday. I bet with this weather those sprouts will start taking off. I think mine really went crazy last year around the middle of may. When they say hops can grow 15" in one day, they are not joking around. Make a mark on the twine...it's pretty impressive how fast these guys grow.

Bright yellow strap and 2x4 for orientation adjustment.

Trellis_Poles_And_Culvert_4-19-09_003.jpg

Poles set. Sprayed Round-up on planting area.

Trellis_Poles_And_Culvert_4-19-09_049.jpg

With those temps, sounds like you are located around Modesto! It's been pretty warm up here too...but it should be cooling off to mid 70s by thursday. I bet with this weather those sprouts will start taking off. I think mine really went crazy last year around the middle of may. When they say hops can grow 15" in one day, they are not joking around. Make a mark on the twine...it's pretty impressive how fast these guys grow.

Close, I am in Fresno. I have a limited space to deal with as I have to compromise with the SWMBO on placement. The best spot is being taken by a new orange tree and some herbs. The spot the hops are in are currently getting about 6-8 hours of direct sun. We have about 2 months until the longest day of the year so hopefully they will gain a couple hours of sun by then. Just did the math, I will get about 78 more minutes of sun by then. We'll see if that is enough I guess.

4/21 sun
Begin civil twilight 5:50 a.m.
Sunrise 6:17 a.m.
Sun transit 12:58 p.m.
Sunset 7:39 p.m.
End civil twilight 8:06 p.m.

6/21 sun
Begin civil twilight 5:10 a.m.
Sunrise 5:41 a.m.
Sun transit 1:01 p.m.
Sunset 8:21 p.m.
End civil twilight 8:52 p.m.

Waiting for the bines...then the trellis. :D

Hops%201.JPG

The wife's cucumbers are doing well...The tree in the big planter in the background is a Meyer lemon, which has been largely stripped of leaves by the yearly crop of caterpillars.

Here are a few pics... just built my pergola/trellis and planted 17 rhizomes (9 varieties- Nugget, Cascade, Willamette, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Spalt Select, Magnum, Northern Brewer, and Sterling) on Sunday and Monday.

Pergola/Trellis
SANY0369.JPG

Some of the mounds-- waiting on growth!
SANY0370.JPG

Here are a few pics... just built my pergola/trellis and planted 17 rhizomes (9 varieties- Nugget, Cascade, Willamette, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Spalt Select, Magnum, Northern Brewer, and Sterling) on Sunday and Monday.

Pergola/Trellis
SANY0369.JPG

Some of the mounds-- waiting on growth!
SANY0370.JPG

Do you have sprinklers that go off in that area?

HH,

Good to see some progress on that! All this rain is holding me back. (Well... drinking until close at Uptown Grille last night might have held me back, too, but it was an IPA tasting so I call it hop research. :D)

Do you have sprinklers that go off in that area?

No, no sprinklers in the area... we just moved here last June, and I never had to water-- we had enough rain to keep the lawn healthy.

So, I will have to see how it goes this year. That being said, I know I will need to watch out for mildew...

I still have to build some planter boxes to go around the mounds, and when I do that I will be removing excess grass from around the mounds and then adding extra compost. I will be holding out on mulching until I see a need for it.

In my opinion, having them in the grass like that is good vs having them in just a bare dirt surrounding.

I only came to this conclusion because having vegetation keeps a region cool.
Having bare soil which is exposed, like a desert, will be heated more readily by the sun. (This is called terrestrial radiation). The sun does not heat the air, it heats the ground which then radiates the heat that we experience. Vegetation helps prevent this heating by deflecting and absorbing sunlight.

Of course, the benefits will be more dramatic in a desert climate vs naturally cooler climates. Of course, duh lol.

In my opinion, having them in the grass like that is good vs having them in just a bare dirt surrounding.

I only came to this conclusion because having vegetation keeps a region cool.
Having bare soil which is exposed, like a desert, will be heated more readily by the sun. (This is called terrestrial radiation). The sun does not heat the air, it heats the ground which then radiates the heat that we experience. Vegetation helps prevent this heating by deflecting and absorbing sunlight.

Of course, the benefits will be more dramatic in a desert climate vs naturally cooler climates. Of course, duh lol.

That sounds good, but I think the main concern is that I heard it was not good to have sprinklers pointed at the hops.

Houston hops are here. Cascades coming up first, Chinook should be right behind.

rhinocascade.jpg

My vertical to horizontal (more diagonal) design, gets about 8 ft at its highest point. By the time they get to the highest point, they will have traveled about 13ft.

hopgarden.jpg

Finally all 8 are planted. 1st year growing hops so it should be interesting. First four barrels are Glaciers and the next four are Willamettes. Once I have bines, the line will go to the post at the top of the slope. The post used to be for the TV antenna. A support wire was attached to it. Very strong. I figure I'll wait to run the line until I have actual growth.

Hop garden4.JPG

Finally all 8 are planted. 1st year growing hops so it should be interesting. First four barrels are Glaciers and the next four are Willamettes. Once I have bines, the line will go to the post at the top of the slope. The post used to be for the TV antenna. A support wire was attached to it. Very strong. I figure I'll wait to run the line until I have actual growth.

you may have quite a job training the bines... they like to follow the sun as they grow vertically. It looks as though the angle from the planters to the post will be less than 45 deg. As long as the sun is on the opposite side of your post as the planters, they should follow better, but these buggers like to reach for the sun. Keep taking photos, it looks like it will really look cool in full bloom. Kind of like a hill side hop circus tent.

P.S., the first year, water them babies daily... if not twice!

I went to water my plants this afternoon (yesterday I had 3 centennials up and 2 Willamette's) and low and behold I have 10 centennials above ground and another Will has poked through as well (8 more of those to go). Hopefully if it stays dry here for another week I'll be able to get all four poles in the ground, cable run and rope slung....

My first one popped up today... a Mt. Hood. Pretty surprising... sprouted in under 100 hours since being planted. One plant down, 16 to go.

Minnesota Hops!
Here are the latest photos, all are leafing out minus one cascade that I ordered late... been in the ground about a week and a half and already 6 tiny shoots are poking through!

Here's the progress:

one half of my cascade crown:
Cascade1.jpg

the other half:
Cascade2.jpg

Fuggels: just look at all the shoots!
Fuggles.jpg

Goldings: Trying hard to catch up
Goldings.jpg

Nuggets:
Nugget1.jpg

All in all things are going well... watering everyday and using plenty of cow poo.

Just taken today...

Cascade Bush..

2009_hops_April_002.jpg

Nugget Bush...

2009_hops_April_001.jpg

Need to trim both

Finally added twine and the pole. (The Golden IBU Pole!)

2009_hops_April_003.jpg

Holy crap, those things look like shrubs. How deep did you plant those? I am beginning to wonder if my 4 maybe 5 inches is too deep with the above ground result I am getting.

I planted them 2-4" above ground and covered them with bark mulch. The ground settled flat and now they are where they are...

This is what I did. Dug a 18" wide hole 12" deep. Dropped in one 40# bag of compost/manure and then topped it with one bag of black dirt. Did a karate chop on the top of the mound to make a slit. Dropped the rhizome horizontal into the slit. Covered it up maybe with 2" max with dirt. Then covered the mound with bark mulch and water regularly for the first year. Eventually the mound settles flat.

The root base has gone flat-out crazy. I clipped 8-10 rhoot cuttings in March to give away rhizomes and they are spreading like a MOFO. I am kind of shocked about vigorous they are being that its still April.

Be advised this is year 4 for these bad-boys.

I need to trim those bushes they are too damned hairy! :D

Holy crap, those things look like shrubs. How deep did you plant those? I am beginning to wonder if my 4 maybe 5 inches is too deep with the above ground result I am getting.

They will be OK if your soil drains well. Water the hell out them if this is your first year. If you want to do it organic like let me know I use the zap-tap-crap lauter tun. Works great, maybe too good.

This is a nested-two-bucket setup. Top bucket is drilled with tons of holes to make a false bottom. I add about two shovel fulls of compost/manure to this. Then top off with water and cover it to perculate/ferment. A black bucket is best for this since it help with the heat attraction. Then I let it drain onto the root-base. Good $hit for your rhizomes. The hose is 3/8" jammed into 5/16 hole. No leaks to note. No valve to clog.

2008_hops_III_005.jpg

They will be OK if your soil drains well. Water the hell out them if this is your first year. If you want to do it organic like let me know I use the zap-tap-crap lauter tun. Works great, maybe too good.

This is a nested-two-bucket setup. I add about two shovel fulls of compost/manure to this. Then top off with water and cover it to perculate/ferment. Black bucket is best for this since it help with the heat attraction. Then I let it drain onto the root-base. Good $hit for your rhizomes.

2008_hops_III_005.jpg

I should have built a mound for them but maybe I will dig them up and do that, I don't know at this point. I have really hard pan dirt here, but I dug the hols about 12-16" deep and filled in with compost and then planted about 4" deep so they have soft dirt below them for about a foot or so.

I will take some pictures this weekend but this is what most of them are going to climb
P1040847s.jpg

I also checked out your 2008 report, that is awesome!

you may have quite a job training the bines... they like to follow the sun as they grow vertically. It looks as though the angle from the planters to the post will be less than 45 deg. As long as the sun is on the opposite side of your post as the planters, they should follow better, but these buggers like to reach for the sun. Keep taking photos, it looks like it will really look cool in full bloom. Kind of like a hill side hop circus tent.

P.S., the first year, water them babies daily... if not twice!

The sun will be behind (to the left in the photo) and straight over head. It'll be interesting to see how it works out this year.
Thanks for the watering tip. I will do that.

I should have built a mound for them but maybe I will dig them up and do that, I don't know at this point. I have really hard pan dirt here, but I dug the hols about 12-16" deep and filled in with compost and then planted about 4" deep so they have soft dirt below them for about a foot or so.

I will take some pictures this weekend but this is what most of them are going to climb
P1040847s.jpg

I also checked out your 2008 report, that is awesome!

My dirt here was all red-clay. The only black dirt on my property is in planters or the holes I dug for the hops. It sounds like you did alright. I wouldn't dig them up. Water them well and let them do their thing. They will grow well if you have the water & sunlight for them.

Just taken today...

Cascade Bush..

2009_hops_April_002.jpg

Nugget Bush...

2009_hops_April_001.jpg

Need to trim both

Finally added twine and the pole. (The Golden IBU Pole!)

2009_hops_April_003.jpg

Is it going to be as droopy this year, I remember checking your pics last summer! It looked like you had a sturgeon on.
-Ander

Back