2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Centennial on bottom. Nugget top....

Pic take last weekend....Them centennials are slow growin for me...!?

000_0004.jpg

We've had so much rain in the last two weeks. I'm really glad I got these transplanted from pots to the ground before then. If the thunderstorms hold off today, I'll finally get the trellis assembled to give them something to climb. This is pic is from 2 weeks ago.

2009hopbed.jpg

Man, I wish I could just skip to next year and start at year 2 for my hops. Mine need to grow so they can cover up my pool pump and filter.

The 12 ft high trellis looks like a little overkill for these small things at the bottom.

Man, I wish I could just skip to next year and start at year 2 for my hops. Mine need to grow so they can cover up my pool pump and filter.

The 12 ft high trellis looks like a little overkill for these small things at the bottom.

I had an 18' that was too short, then a 24' was too.

I had an 18' that was too short, then a 24' was too.

Yeah, I am thinking if they get up to the top this year I can nail another 2x2 and extend another 6 ft or so. We will see what they do this year. My willamette is waaay ahead of the rest right now and is already training itself.

I am building a fan style trellis this weekend to attach to a fence to give my 3 cascades something to climb. I think it may top out at about 11 ft high but this is about the only option I have in my back yard. I wish I had the room do give them maximum sun and height but maybe the next house.

Both of my plants are now 10' tall. These are 4th year and both will reach the top of this pole by June.

Yep, I will have to employ a new plan next year probably but this is what I set up this year.

P1040847s.jpg

It is close to square 12ft x 12ft and to the right is where I have the cascades and going to put a fan trellis on the fence.

The Columbus finally came up. At least I hope it is Columbus and not another Sunbeam shoot. The Sunbeam got moved under an apple tree and it has a good start. Last week, things were looking grim. This morning I was out with the clippers cutting extra shoots everywhere, despite the near-freezing temperatures the last couple mornings.

So, I'm 9 of 9 at this point.

Here are my first years. Hoping for enough between them to aroma hop a beer this year!

Golding
DSC_0185.jpg

Northern Brewer
DSC_0188.jpg

Centennial (just emerging)
DSC_0187.jpg

Another baby. This is my new Columbus plant.

Normally, the Fuggle and Cascade lead the show, but this year the Mt. Hood is double the size of the others (as of 11 May).

Here are my first years. Hoping for enough between them to aroma hop a beer this year!

DSC_0188.jpg

Hey guys, just a head up to PERMANENTLY label your plants. I used the printed tags that came with the rhizomes and they faded and bled until they were barely legible.

South facing apartment deck hop growing FTW! Bout 6' tall today... another 10' to go to the top... should be no problem in ~two weeks

3rd year nugget kickin arse!

534136290_YtUkQ-X3.jpg

534135894_d2B8e-X3.jpg

Centennial...only one plant...so using second rope for the extra bines.
IMG_1159s.JPG

Fuggle and Cascade...letting a couple bines grow up the neighbor's fence.
IMG_1155s.JPG

Closer picture the Fuggle and Cascade
IMG_1155ss.JPG

One of my Cascade runners..
CascadeRunner.JPG

-Will

mine have got some cones coming in real nice. i will have to get a pic of them. i posted them in the topic growing hops in tn but it was a week ago and the have changed since then.

We had a great time building a hop tower out at my future in laws (yep, that family is a keeper!) this year.

3494841887_cb1d1f36f8_o.jpg

It has been unseasonably cold this spring, but we finally have growth. All first year:

Nugget,

3522823684_f50c54fff4_o.jpg

Chinook,

3522016071_a7422aa968_o.jpg

Cascade,

3522016891_07521a6428_o.jpg

And this one is a bit of an experiment. This is a cutting from a wild hop plant growing behind my fiancee Uncles house. Evidently her Grandma used to make hop pillows from it when her Dad was young. we might try an experimental brew from it this year, because even if this plant in the pic does not produce hops, the 40 year old original plant already has shoots 6 foot tall!

3522822764_da6632052c_o.jpg

Hope that doesn't turn into a lightning rod.

How's THIS for a lightning rod?

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004.jpg

Here's the base and the 3rd year Cascades:

DSC00003.jpg

Thanks to EdWort for the design detail in the Texas Hopgarden sticky. All materials purchased at Lowes for about $35, and I assembled and erected it myself w/o any assistance.

Nice! Front yard action. I saw those pics. and thought that looked like a Michigan Subdivision and sure enough you are in michigan.

Or you could just remember what you planted where?????

That's exactly what I thought. First child arrived 6 months after planting, brain fried, labels died. If you have more that just a couple varieties its easier to forget than you might think.

wow wowee, very nice

How's THIS for a lightning rod?

DSC00001.jpg

Nice! Front yard action. I saw those pics. and thought that looked like a Michigan Subdivision and sure enough you are in michigan.

What do your neighbors think about this?

I bet the township might have something to say about this. They seem to think parkways are their property.

Where I lived growing up, in suburban Chicago, they'd have brain trama over this. They took care of all the trees along the street if it resided in the parkway.

Hopefully they don't remove your work of art!

Last edited by a moderator:
What the hell, I'll post my pics (bored at work)

I had 10'; pvc pipe last year, wire-tied to the fence between my yard and the neighbor's. He warned me that he is tearing down the fence this year because he needs room for a back-hoe because he is replacing his sewer line which runs near the fence. He is also replacing the fence with a PVC type afterward. Seemed like a good time to convince the wife that I needed more vertical space for the hops. :D

16' 4x4's cemented 2' in the ground. 3/32" cable between them with turnbuckle ends (in case they get too loose) that have hooks. I have a pole I can reach the hooks with to drop the cable at harvest time. I only have one cable up right now as this year's rhizomes have not started growing yet.

I should have done this waaay earlier, as the hops I planted last year were taking over the fence. I had to cut them back severely as it was very hard to extricated them from the fence without damaging them. They seem to be just fine.

Last year: Cascade, Hallertauer, and Nugget

New plantings: Perle, Sterling and Mt. Hood.

(BTW, the 64 Plymouth is free to a good home :D )

100_1844.jpg

100_1845.jpg

100_1846.jpg

First year, planted about 8 weeks ago. The fence is about 5' high. They look kinda thin because only 1 vine really took off on each plant. These things are amazing. I can't wait until next year!

20090511_hops.jpg

What do your neighbors think about this?

I bet the township might have something to say about this. They seem to think parkways are their property.

Where I lived growing up, in suburban Chicago, they'd have brain trama over this. They took care of all the trees along the street if it resided in the parkway.

Hopefully they don't remove your work of art!

It's actually in a city, and yes, the parkway/island is city property.

The neighbors and everyone who's seen it compliments me on the trellis.

Although I didn't check with the specific city code before erecting the thing, I can likely argue around any potential code that prohibits anything on city property. The trellis is NOT a structure, building, fence, improvement, or a permanent installation. There are several example of homeowners in the neighborhood who have altered their parkway property to include planters at the base of the trees, flower beds, plantings, etc. I think I'll be OK. ;)

Got to love parkways. In Fullerton, I wasn't allowed to remove the tree that heaved the sidewalk OR fix the sidewalk. They both belonged to the city. BUT, if someone tripped on the heave, it was my problem. They finally came around and cut the tree roots under the sidewalk, which allowed the tree to fall into the street during the next storm. When they replaced the tree, they fixed the sidewalk. I was in escrow, selling after 13 years.

Hopgarden2008_003.jpg

so, this picture is from last year. I was too lazy to take new ones to show the cones. yup, I went to go train some bines and to my suprise, one of the cascade bines had about 10 baby cones. man I love south ga.:rockin:

I planted them 2-4" above ground and covered them with bark mulch. The ground settled flat and now they are where they are...

This is what I did. Dug a 18" wide hole 12" deep. Dropped in one 40# bag of compost/manure and then topped it with one bag of black dirt. Did a karate chop on the top of the mound to make a slit. Dropped the rhizome horizontal into the slit. Covered it up maybe with 2" max with dirt. Then covered the mound with bark mulch and water regularly for the first year. Eventually the mound settles flat.

I'm a few days away from transplanting my new babies (2nd or 3rd year plants we dug out of the ground at a friend's place) from their pots to the outside. So I'm assuming you made up your mounds and with that 12" down 'freespace', the roots easily took off into that for you. Thanks for the tips!

Both of my plants are now 10' tall. These are 4th year and both will reach the top of this pole by June.

2009_Hop_Pictures_003.jpg

Hi--is that pole free-standing at the top or did you attach to your siding somehow? (thinking of doing the same thing after I get new siding in the next couple weeks but winds can get pretty good here and don't want it slapping against my house)

first post in the thread.
2jfk58n.jpg

148iute.jpg

2468j2c.jpg

xcw579.jpg

First time planter here. Bought a 5 year Cascade plant, snagged a few rhyzomesque-thingies from the root system and grew 3 other plants out of them. they rope-bases are about 18in from each other, and it's facing the south side. the other 3 plants we're letting get a good start in the greenhouse before we put them there, but we'll do the same thing on all sides. also the three ropes are tied to one slipknot at the top, which is connected to an eyehook at about chest level so the whole thing's movable (thanks again t-bag!)

questions? comments? critiques?

First time planter here. Bought a 5 year Cascade plant, snagged a few rhyzomesque-thingies from the root system and grew 3 other plants out of them. they rope-bases are about 18in from each other, and it's facing the south side. the other 3 plants we're letting get a good start in the greenhouse before we put them there, but we'll do the same thing on all sides. also the three ropes are tied to one slipknot at the top, which is connected to an eyehook at about chest level so the whole thing's movable (thanks again t-bag!)

questions? comments? critiques?

how high is the post?

Hi--is that pole free-standing at the top or did you attach to your siding somehow? (thinking of doing the same thing after I get new siding in the next couple weeks but winds can get pretty good here and don't want it slapping against my house)

Its not free standing. It has two 6' long stop-sign posts (C-Channel) that are pounded a good foot or so into the ground. The post is inside the two "Cs" and held there with 3 hose clamps. Then the twine is tethered to two other smaller stop-sign posts. The lines are multi-stranded jute twine. I believe I made them to be 4-strand.

This pole is 3' from the side of the house. I used a PVC ring and a long carriage bolt to suspend the ring. The twine is tied to the ring. I used the PVC ring because I didn't want the drilled holes in the metal post to a braid the twine. The post is modular antenna posts. Lightweight & strong.

2009_Hop_Pictures_003.jpg

update.... originals taken 24 Apr... new taken today... a total of 20 growing days in between.

cascade on 24 apr
Cascade2.jpg

cascade today - 20 days later - up 4 feet
cascade0020.JPG

cascade0021.JPG

except for the new plant planted 2 weeks ago
cascade0022.JPG

Nuggets Apr 24
Nugget1.jpg

Nugget today - up 7 feet!
nugget0020.JPG

check out the side arm action... bout 1 inch long
nugget0021.JPG

Last year at this time the tallest plant I had was about a foot tall... Things are growing well.

Back