2008 NHC Comp - who is entering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My entry is ready to go!
I found out that they created a new division (The old west) which includes Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas. The drop off location is the Breckenridge Brewery here in Denver. I can drive my entry over there and have a beer! :ban:

OK. Simple things for simple people...

I dropped my beers off at Pyramid Brewery last Friday. Worked out great, it's within walking distance from my house and I don't have to pay shipping to Alaska. Pyramid is consolidating a pallet.

I REALLY want to enter my 888, but it's bottled in 16 oz aluminum bottles, and that's outside the rules. I won't have anything else ready at all. Guess I wait till next year.

When did you guys start entering competitions? How many brews did you have under your belt?

While I'm definitely stoked on my beers after going AG, and everyone says they are great, I would still be a little hesitant to put them in front of a 'pro' judge. Although I suppose that some impartial feedback would help me improve.

Just curious.

Brewtopia...please tell me you didn't enter a hefe...that just wouldn't be fair!! :mug:

Blacklab...I entered my first contest with my third extract brew when I started some 7 years ago. Haven't entered one since till this one. I don't think there's every anything to be ashamed off. I look at it as good feedback, and to get someone that isn't related to me, friends with me, or have anything to do with me to give honest, trained feedback.

PS: What the he!! is up with the hail storm that is just passing through???

10 entries are on their way to the SW regionals.

Belgian Pale
Saison
Belgian Specialty
Fruit Beer
Herb/spice beer
Baltic Porter
Russian Imperial Stout
American Stout
American Barleywine
Schwartzbier

Brewtopia said:
I dropped my beers off at Pyramid Brewery last Friday. Worked out great, it's within walking distance from my house and I don't have to pay shipping to Alaska. Pyramid is consolidating a pallet.

What did you end up entering? Same with you Rich. I find it strange that I have to ship mine to San Diego when Colorado is right next door!

I need some wisdom. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot with my American Amber. I got a question. Seems my brews in the bottle need about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator to really taste better and carb up some more. I mean, I can open one in storage and not being refrigerated and it's carbonated, but when sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days, they are just better. My question, when you ship your beer in, do they put it in a refrigerator for a couple of days or is it tested at room temperature? I think I know the answer, but I don't know how this process really works.

Ol' Grog said:
I need some wisdom. I decided to go ahead and give it a shot with my American Amber. I got a question. Seems my brews in the bottle need about 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator to really taste better and carb up some more. I mean, I can open one in storage and not being refrigerated and it's carbonated, but when sitting in the refrigerator for a couple of days, they are just better. My question, when you ship your beer in, do they put it in a refrigerator for a couple of days or is it tested at room temperature? I think I know the answer, but I don't know how this process really works.

it will be stored dark and cold.

Ol' Grog said:

Grog: this was my experience. YMMV.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=59401

It's a little green but tasted really good when bottled. So I'm sending in my American Brown Ale. At the very least I'll get some feedback on it. I'll wait a few more days and hope it carbs up enough....

Thanks for that insight. One more question....how long will the brews be stored "dark and cold?" A day or two? A week? Long story short...I gave some brews to some friends at work. Some of them refrigerated them for only one day and said it was flat. Others waited about a week and said it was perfect. I guess I'm wondering if I should refrigerate them now and then pull one out of the refrigerator before I mail it off next week or just let them age now and rely on the place in Denver to chill them and hopefully it will be enough to get the desired carbination? They've been aging for almost 4 weeks, right on the border line of getting off the green status. I know if I refrigerate them now, they will stop aging (or age significantly slower) but at least they will be carbinated. See what I"m saying? Need some advice.

Ol' Grog said:
Thanks for that insight. One more question....how long will the brews be stored "dark and cold?" A day or two? A week? Long story short...I gave some brews to some friends at work. Some of them refrigerated them for only one day and said it was flat. Others waited about a week and said it was perfect. I guess I'm wondering if I should refrigerate them now and then pull one out of the refrigerator before I mail it off next week or just let them age now and rely on the place in Denver to chill them and hopefully it will be enough to get the desired carbination? They've been aging for almost 4 weeks, right on the border line of getting off the green status. I know if I refrigerate them now, they will stop aging (or age significantly slower) but at least they will be carbinated. See what I"m saying? Need some advice.

Shortly after they are received they should be stuck into a cooler. So if you want to make sure they get at least a few days in the cooler before the judging, find out when the judging is for your region and make sure the bottles are there X days before hand (of course make sure that is before the deadline)

Brewpastor said:
What did you end up entering? Same with you Rich. I find it strange that I have to ship mine to San Diego when Colorado is right next door!
I entered my brown ale. It was the only thing ready! I don't how they set up the regions. Texas in in the old west division but New Mexico isn't? Makes no sense to me at all.

I just tasted my English barleywine from my #50 brew last night and it's pretty tasty. It's not hugely bitter like an American barleywine and the malt profile is rich and delicious. I think I'll enter that one in the English catagory. I'm going to try my Belgian Strong Dark tonight and see how that one is now after over a year of age. If that one is good it's going in as well.

RichBrewer said:
I entered my brown ale. It was the only thing ready! I don't how they set up the regions. Texas in in the old west division but New Mexico isn't? Makes no sense to me at all.

Well, New Mexico is most often simple written off as part of Mexico. At least we got attached to something!

This is my first time. I've registered 3 entries. It looks like I only need to ship 1 bottle for each entry. What happens if you make it to the next round?

I'm guessing I should bottle more than 1 of each entry and set the extras aside for later shipping or drinking for that matter.

How's the process work?

EdWort said:
This is my first time. I've registered 3 entries. It looks like I only need to ship 1 bottle for each entry. What happens if you make it to the next round?

I'm guessing I should bottle more than 1 of each entry and set the extras aside for later shipping or drinking for that matter.

How's the process work?

I think you have that correct, ED.

EdWort said:

How's the process work?

Yes, it is just one bottle per entry for the first round, and if you make it to the second round then it is 3 bottles per entry. So yes they suggest setting three bottles aside in the fridge at the time your first bottle arrives so that if you do make it to the second round, those bottles will be at about the same point that the first entry was.

I just mailed my entries out today for the Northeast Region. This will be my first competition as well, so I am interested to see where I am at.

EdWort said:

How's the process work?

If you make it to the next round they will notify you by some date (its listed on the website somewhere). Then you need to send in 3 bottles for the final round. They recommend bottling/putting the bottles aside now so that you lock the same beer in for later judging. Of course they say you can rebrew something if you make it to the final round, but if its something that requires some aging there won't be enough time.

I registered one entry. Not being a member, I'm paying $14.00 per entry. If you make it to the second round, do you have to pay again when you send more bottles?

Man, I let the Bridgeport clone sit alittle while and it has really grown on me. THought I could get a bottle to Alaska by Friday but damn...$36 to ship "ground". I've got the HOV Oregon Homebrew Contest in May so I think I'll hold on to the IPA for that.

Ouch! I shipped 3 bottles "Ground" to Colorado for $7.01, so I'm in for $34 so far.

AHA Membership does have its privileges (like $2 pints 7 days a week at Uncle Billy's Brew & Que).

I'm an AHA memeber. It's UPS fee to ship to ALASKA. If it was just the next state over or whatever it would be considerably cheaper. I've got my Hefe in a few weeks ago, so that's good.

Kilted Brewer said:
I'm an AHA memeber. It's UPS fee to ship to ALASKA. If it was just the next state over or whatever it would be considerably cheaper. I've got my Hefe in a few weeks ago, so that's good.

Would that be the same hefe I had the chance to try? If so it should score well, because it was a damn good beer. :rockin:

I'm almost finalized on all my beers for the comp. I should be bottling tomorrow and driving them down to San Diego Friday mid-day. It looks like I'm sending 7 beers:

2005 Old Rasputin Clone - Russian Imperial Stout
2006 Old Helicon Barleywine - American Barleywine
2007 English Barleywine - English Barleywine
Steve's Smoked Ale - Other Smoked Beer (I need to verify with Steve what wood variety we smoked the malt with - I think it's alder)
80/- Bagpipes - Scotish Export 80/-
Fat Tuba Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
Wagner Weizen - Weizen/Weissbier

$63 in entry fees...

Good Luck to all HBT'rs. Are folks enter HomeBrewTalk Brewers as their brew club?

How many HBT'ers made it to the second round last year?

I ended up sending in 3 entries: Munich Helles, German Pils, and an Imperial IPA.

And I did put HomeBrewTalk Brewers as my club.

Good luck too all (unless you entered the above categories in the South region:D ).

EdWort said:
Good Luck to all HBT'rs. Are folks enter HomeBrewTalk Brewers as their brew club?

How many HBT'ers made it to the second round last year?
Never gave a thought to entering HBT as my club. I entered the Local club I just started going to again.

I put homebrewtalk brewers as my club! Now, I don't even expect to go to the second round, because of my poor planning. (My better/best beers were gone before the competition, so these were just "better than some, not as good as others" brews.) But, NEXT year- I'll brew plenty in January and February so that I can enter some that might be special.

I put HomeBrewTalk Brewers as my club. Only entered my English Special Bitter and my Robust Porter though. I am just hoping for a decent score. We'll see.

I'm sure there is a thread here somewhere for this but I couldn't find it in the quick search that I did. So I'll ask anyway.

Who sent in entries to the NHC this year? I just sent in my Stovepipe Stout, I know....only one entry, but it's all I had ready to go. I entered it in the Dry Stout category. This was a last minute decision to enter and is my first competition as well. I'm not expecting to advance but I am excited all the same. I'm hoping to get some decent feedback, at least.

What did the rest of ya'll send in?

Cheers

Back