20 year old chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spin711

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to buy a chest freezer I saw but it's 20 years old. They say it's working great, actually using it still right now.

Any issue with it being that old? Is the compressor more likely to break? I know with the old ones they can be built to last compared to the newer ones but I don't know much about them.

This is a Sears model and will be used as a fermentation chamber, 16 cf. Thanks for your help

While I'm sure is runs great, my fear would be it breaking down in the move. Things rust and parts aren't easily available. Just my thoughts- I've bought some oldies myself and even when they did make it home, the strain of fermentation on/offs gave them a pretty short shelf life.

I actually have one that is pretty old and it has been working beautifully as a fermentation chamber for about a year. I have it hooked up to an STC1000 that will not let it turn on and off and on again too quickly. This theoretically helps it to last longer and not break. I also live in Southern California so the poor thing really gets a work out. I only paid $40, but mine wasnt that big I dont think.

Yea it's gonna be hooked up to another Johnson a419 like my other one. But wasn't sure if a 20 yr old one will last. Won't be in too hot of a climate either in NY. I just don't wanna lug it if it will only break down relatively soon. Thank you

Any other thoughts on this?

I can also buy an ice cream freezer for $100 but I think they only hold two fermenters.

I can buy a Sears coldspot older chest freezer for less than $100.

I'm thinking the 16cf one is my best bet.

Dude,

My Mom has a toaster that's 60 years old and still working fine. Her Maytag washer is 30 years old and runs like a champ.

She looked EVERYWHERE to buy another exact toaster but couldn't find 1. Called the company to buy one direct and customer service told her point blank, "We don't make those anymore. They were too good. They never broke down. We'd be out of business if we made everything that good."

When the G.I's came home from WWII America was at world domination. Everything we did had a different mindset. I'm German, I'm old, I know.

Today they make everything with a life expectancy just past the warranty. They want you to buy more. Things are made to break down nowadays.

If I had the opportunity to buy something That Old.......... that cheap.......... like a freezer........... I'd be all over it.

P.S. I've asked her to give me that toaster as a Christmas gift. She hasn't made toast in 10 years. She said, "No Way!" :rockin:

Hahaha thanks for the assurance. I was thinking the same thing but wasn't sure if 20 years old "makes the cut" for the superior older appliances.

Also found a Sears Coldspot chest freezer but I don't know how many cubic feet it is, looks big though. No idea on when it was made either.

Latest posts

Back