20 Questions: Beer Edition!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be fooled by the name "grain." It's a spice that's been used for centuries and misnomers will arise sometimes. One of the other common names is much more appropriate: "Seeds of Paradise." And when they're still in the pod (the fruit of the plant) it's often called "African Pepper."

It's in no way a grain or nut (or even close, for that matter) in either the biology world or the food world.

Reno_eNVy said:
Don't be fooled by the name "grain." It's a spice that's been used for centuries and misnomers will arise sometimes. One of the other common names is much more appropriate: "Seeds of Paradise." And when they're still in the pod (the fruit of the plant) it's often called "African Pepper."

It's in no way a grain or nut (or even close, for that matter) in either the biology world or the food world.

That's why I stipulated "like." As in could it be considered like a grain or a nut but not actually be one?

Grains and nuts ARE seeds!

Nope. Botany and nomenclature are odd beasts. For instance, raspberries and blackberries aren't actually berries... they're aggregate fruit. But you know what IS a berry? Jalapenos.

Also, "nuts" is not a concrete category. Most nuts are actually fruit.... however, peanuts are legumes (soy, clover, beans, alfalfa)

EDIT: Biological definitions --

Grain: a fruit characteristic of grasses (fruit... not seeds)

Nut: A dry one-seeded fruit which is indehiscent (i.e., it does not split open along a definite seam at maturity). Among the true nuts are the acorn, chestnut, hazelnut, beech, filbert, etc). Others that are not botanically true nuts are the peanut, cashew, coconut, litchi, pistachio, almond and the walnut.

Seed: A propagating organ formed in the sexual reproductive cycle of gymnosperms and angiosperms, consisting of a protective coat enclosing an embryo and food reserves.

These are definitions I found on biology websites but I can always rummage out my Plant Biology and Plant Physiology textbooks to confirm it.

Reno_eNVy said:
Nope. Botany and nomenclature are odd beasts. For instance, raspberries and blackberries aren't actually berries... they're aggregate fruit. But you know what IS a berry? Jalapenos.

Also, "nuts" is not a concrete category. Most nuts are actually fruit.... however, peanuts are legumes (soy, clover, beans, alfalfa)

EDIT: Biological definitions --

Grain: a fruit characteristic of grasses (fruit... not seeds)

Nut: A dry one-seeded fruit which is indehiscent (i.e., it does not split open along a definite seam at maturity). Among the true nuts are the acorn, chestnut, hazelnut, beech, filbert, etc). Others that are not botanically true nuts are the peanut, cashew, coconut, litchi, pistachio, almond and the walnut.

Seed: A propagating organ formed in the sexual reproductive cycle of gymnosperms and angiosperms, consisting of a protective coat enclosing an embryo and food reserves.

These are definitions I found on biology websites but I can always rummage out my Plant Biology and Plant Physiology textbooks to confirm it.

I hate you so much right now.

PhelanKA7 said:
Is it a grain? :p

No. ;)

BTW, grain of paradise is a seed that is similar in taste to white pepper (which is another seed). I wouldn't call it grain- or nut-like either, despite the name. Which is why I hadn't ruled it out. Regardless, it's better than the jerk who called rosemary a "spice" a while back :D

Well, you did say bottlebomber's post inspired your choice. And as far as I know, Stiffler is the only one who's tried that recipe.

Is it an herb?

BBL_Brewer said:
Well, you did say bottlebomber's post inspired your choice. And as far as I know, Stiffler is the only one who's tried that recipe.

Is it an herb?

No.

And I didn't mean that his post inspired me, but I was only kidding either way - not meant to be a clue!

Qhrumphf said:
micro-organism?

No.

Qhrumphf said:
is it added for flavor?

Sometimes, I suppose. Don't put too much stock in this answer though as it'll likely just make things more confusing.

Latest posts

Back