20 Minute Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
I was just re-reading a BYO where Ashton Lewis recommended mashing for only 20 minutes, stating that todays modified malts make the need for a long mash no longer necessary. Have any of you guys decreased your mash times? Sounds like it does more good than bad.

You may well get full conversion after 20 mins but it will be a very dextrinous wort. To get a good balance of sugars you should really be mashing for 60 mins minimum unless for some reason a recipe suggest otherwise.

I've contemplated reducing the rest time but only with fly sparging. Haven't done it yet though. The brewpub I frequent only does a 10 minute rest and 90 minute sparge; no mash out naturally. I don't think you'd want to try 20 and batch sparge.

As long as you don't run off directly into the boiler (with it switched on) or do a mash out ,45 mins would be fine as conversion will continue until you destroy the enzymes (with heat normally).

I batch sparge and I started with 60 minuite mashes, I made pretty good beer. I then read about the 20 minute mash and gave it a try but I went with 30 minutes, my efficiency stayed the same but all of my 30 minute mashed beers finished high FG wise and were a bit to sweet for my liking. I then tried 90 minute mashing, all beers finished dead on where they should have and all had a nice mouthfeel and flavor was very good, but NO HEAD I get a whispy head that last until the pour is done. I'm now back to 60 minute mashes and I make very good beer with great head retention.

I've found that the tried and true methods work best. If you want to improve your beer work on you water and fermentation temps those two factors are the most important areas that make the difference between a good beer and a fantastic beer.

Waldo said:
I batch sparge and I started with 60 minuite mashes, I made pretty good beer. I then read about the 20 minute mash and gave it a try but I went with 30 minutes, my efficiency stayed the same but all of my 30 minute mashed beers finished high FG wise and were a bit to sweet for my liking. I then tried 90 minute mashing, all beers finished dead on where they should have and all had a nice mouthfeel and flavor was very good, but NO HEAD I get a whispy head that last until the pour is done. I'm now back to 60 minute mashes and I make very good beer with great head retention.

I've found that the tried and true methods work best. If you want to improve your beer work on you water and fermentation temps those two factors are the most important areas that make the difference between a good beer and a fantastic beer.

This is the best answer so far. Mr. Lewis mentioned that long mashes will end with thinner, higher ABV beers. I believe he said that Budweiser uses a 3 hour mash to eliminate that nasty beer taste. He also said that with the 20 minute mash, you really need to test for full conversion.

For my beers, I was doing a 60 minute mash, then doing my batch sparge. Now I mash between 30 to 60 minutes, depending on how long it takes me to set up the rest of my gear and if I don't get distracted (such as browsing HBT). Quite honestly I haven't seen a difference either way. I think the only real way I could tell if there's a difference is to make two identical batches side by side, one with a short mash, another with a 60 minute mash. Who would ever need 10 gallons of beer though? :p

at the other end of the spectrum, on occasion I choose to do a 3-3 1/2 hr mash so I can take the pooch out for a walk while I wait (it makes brew day seem far less work). To compensate I mash at 68 - 69 deg c (154 - 156 deg f), it works very well and often yields a slightly higher efficiency (although that's not something that bothers me, the main thing is there is no reduction in the overall quality).

It would make sense if it resulted in better beer, but it wouldn't save me any time. It takes me about an hour to heat my sparge water on the kitchen stove, and I spend the time racking the last brew to secondary, and kegging the previous brew.

-a.

I mash for 60 to 90 minutes and have noticed that if I do a longer mash I get a more complete conversion which yields a thinner beer but with really nice flavor. I believe that aging is the single overlooked practice that home brewers miss in that they drink beer that is too young. My rule is condition for 28 days for medium beers and 2 weeks longer for bigger beers. I always have conditioned at 70 F. Of course you can go longer times too but you have to have enough ale in the pipeline (in kegs or bottles) to do this. If you cool beer too early you are drastically slowing conditioning of ale. The ale yeast can not do their work if you keep them too cold.:mug:

I have been reducing my mash time and mostly eliminating the protein rest period so that I could have sweeter more full bodied beers with lower ABV.

I prefer a shorter mash for most of my beers now, but I suppose if you are going to make a high ABV Light lager or Ale, go for the 3 hour mash.

Back