2 Year old Dogfish (Worldwide and 120 Min.)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbones24

Reaction score
Hey all. I just wanted an opinion on whether these two beers would be good when the bottle date on them is October 2008. The local beverage distributor by my house has a 6 pack of each left with a sticker of $7.99 on them. ;)

Just wondering if either of these two beers are worth buying with a bottle date going back almost two years? I'm thinking the Worldwide Stout should be okay, but will the 120 minute still be good? Any help?

the 120 says on the bottle "ages well". its probably fine.

i have 3 bottles dated 11/2008. i drank a 4th bottle 8 months ago it was great

Umm, the last worldwide I bought I paid about $10 for a 12oz bottle, and probably near $6 for a 120. For $7.99 a sixer I would grab it in a heartbeat as both will age like a champ. Nice find.

Ha! Thanks for the replies guys! I will be there tomorrow and snatch up what they have left. The funny thing is, I saw them there two weeks ago and ignored them because I was looking for something else. I went back today, and they were still there. You would think that since October 2008, someone would have bought them. Geez.

I have some 10/2008 bottles of WWS and a early 2008 bottle of 120. I can't wait to drink them.

They don't come in six packs though, they are sold as singles in singles cases.

I have some 10/2008 bottles of WWS and a early 2008 bottle of 120. I can't wait to drink them.

They don't come in six packs though, they are sold as singles in singles cases.

I'm glad that they are still drinkable. I just now hope that they aren't $7.99 per bottle which sounds more realistic, but still reasonable. They were separated into a case with six in each with one sticker for $7.99 on them. I'm going back tomorrow and keeping my fingers crossed!

A couple months ago I had a WWS from 2007. Still very sweet, a little roastiness and chocolate notes present. Overall pretty good. I had a 2yr old 120 and it was pure sweetness. No hop presence at all. I had one at 1yr old and hop presence was barrrely there.

Hey all. I just wanted an opinion on whether these two beers would be good when the bottle date on them is October 2008. The local beverage distributor by my house has a 6 pack of each left with a sticker of $7.99 on them. ;)

Just wondering if either of these two beers are worth buying with a bottle date going back almost two years? I'm thinking the Worldwide Stout should be okay, but will the 120 minute still be good? Any help?

They'll be better now than fresh, but the 120 in particular is never going to be very good, IMO (though it's much, much better after 3 years than it is fresh when it's a syrupy mess).

Now, if you can find a 2-3 year old Immort Ale, buy it--that's a beer that's pretty terrible young and becomes absolutely fantastic with some age.

I had a 2yr old 120 and it was pure sweetness. No hop presence at all. I had one at 1yr old and hop presence was barrrely there.

The 120 is never hoppy and it's always sweet. I've had many, from fresh to 4 years both bottled and on tap in the pubs--the young ones are the sweetest and least drinkable of the bunch. After a couple of years it loses the cloying syrupyness that it has when its fresh (the new ones are horribly sweet), but the ones I had never really aged into anything great--they improved, but not enough to be good beers. I really don't understand how a beer that claims to be continuously hopped as much as that can never have any hint of bitterness or hop aroma in it.

The 120 is never hoppy and it's always sweet. I've had many, from fresh to 4 years both bottled and on tap in the pubs--the young ones are the sweetest and least drinkable of the bunch. After a couple of years it loses the cloying syrupyness that it has when its fresh (the new ones are horribly sweet), but the ones I had never really aged into anything great--they improved, but not enough to be good beers. I really don't understand how a beer that claims to be continuously hopped as much as that can never have any hint of bitterness or hop aroma in it.

Interesting. I figured somewhat fresh it would have at least some hop character. I wouldn't expect a lot, but some at least.

Here's another vote to buy them. I picked up two bottles of Raison D' Extra 2006 from a local shop that busts up cases into singles/6ers. I actually think the wife and I are going to pop one/both open tonight.

Their Immort Ale, by the way, is also not great young--but with a couple of years aging it is absolutely fantastic. If you find that old, buy as many as you can.

Their Immort Ale, by the way, is also not great young--but with a couple of years aging it is absolutely fantastic. If you find that old, buy as many as you can.

I just picked up a 4pk of the Immort Ale from 2009, drank one and it was pretty damn good. I put the rest of the bottles in the back of a closet and I'll remember about them when I clean it out in a few years.

I had one 120min but don't recall the date. I didn't find it sweet at all. I was rather like eating a fist full of hops like an apple. Maybe even a little to much in your face hop for me. Though I wouldn't turn down another bottle.

$7.99? Thats a STEAL when it costs $10 a single bottle here for either of those!
They are both 18% ABV, they should be fine. If not, you didn't waste that much money.

I had one 120min but don't recall the date. I didn't find it sweet at all. I was rather like eating a fist full of hops like an apple. Maybe even a little to much in your face hop for me. Though I wouldn't turn down another bottle.

are you SURE it was a 120? the one I had was like drinking malt syrup.

Sooo did you go to the store today? Is it really that cheap? Because you should probably ship some my way if that's the price. I'd pay shipping.

It's not very bitter, but the fresh bottles I have tried have had HUGE hop flavor and aroma.

Huh. I have one of the Dogfish pubs near my house, and even there when it's as fresh as can be it's been zero hop aroma, bitterness, or flavor of any sort and a syrupy mess; fresh bottles are even worse.

Very sure...I bought specifically to check out the hype...hop central

it's amazing how different either this beer is bottle to bottle, or how different peoples tastes can truly be. I mean, most any DFH brew i try, I feel, is under attenuated and leaning heavily to the malt side of the spectrum.

I've had their 90, 120, Palo Santa Marron, Aprihop, and festina Peche.

the only ones that I would buy regularly are the last two because they just don't have the sweetness that I find in the others mentioned.

but to each their own, a lot of people love the 120 but it just isn't for me. I'll continute to try as many DFH's as I can get because I really appreciate what Sam is doing, but more often then not I'd rather get something from Russian River, Ballast Point, Stone.

heh, maybe it's just my California roots but I generally prefer a California beer over any other US craft beers.... :/

Latest posts

Back