2 weeks "old" beer watery = normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fryingfreeman

Reaction score
Hi to all of you!

New to the forum, I already checked the answers to the questions of watery beer.

Just wanted to know if it is normal for a very young beer to be watery...

Recipe "Brewferm Mouten Kop", ingredients:

Pale 7 EBC
Münchener 15 EBC
Cascade hops
Cardamom
Coriander
Orange peels
Irish moss
Yeast

This is my first kegged beer...

Nice weekend to all of you and thx for any help! ;)

Fry

Was this extract or all grain? Did you take gravity readings? It's possible the gravity was lower than expected so ended up a lower ABV so it tastes watery.

As a Yank, I'm a little confused by your recipe. What is EBC in terms of kilos of grain/extract?

But beyond that, is the beer already carbonated? In the words of Tom Jones, it's not unusual for an under-carbonated beer to taste watery when the final product will be just fine.

Beers mature with time and can taste "watery" until they do mature. Your recipe is pretty simple and this beer should mature quickly but 2 weeks may not be quite enough.

I brewed a robust porter a couple years ago that was really watery tasting and I was so disappointed because the kit said robust. Then about 3 months later, the beer suddenly tasted robust. It took that long for the dark grains to work together. Your recipe doesn't have the dark grains so it will mature faster.

I brewed a stout with lots of dark grains and by this time I knew that it would take some time to mature so I let it have about 5 months and it was good. It was better at a year. I opened the last bottle this week with over 2 years to mature. Why didn't I wait to drink the rest? That last one was so good and so smooth.

As a Yank, I'm a little confused by your recipe. What is EBC in terms of kilos of grain/extract?

EBC is the color rating I believe; the European version of Lovibond.

To the OP: It's hard to know how to help you without knowing quantities and gravities. Post that info and I bet we can help you out more.

My guess is that you had a low OG and everything fermented out.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back