2 weeks and fermentation isn't done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenbrew

Reaction score
This morning I took my 6.5 gallon carboy out of my fermentation chamber to move to the bottling area to settle for some time before bottling. Two hours later as I was walking by I noticed it's still bubbling about 1 bubble every 30 seconds.

It's been 16 days @ 67 degrees for fermentation, and 3 days in it had a krausen that rose above the carboy. Is it possible that this isn't done fermenting? Or did moving it just stir up some trapped CO2? It's a 6.7% alcohol beer using WLP530 Abbey Ale yeast.

Yes, I know I should be taking gravity readings. I guess I always assumed that waiting over 2 weeks was a good way to avoid that step, so really, I'm just trying to figure out if that thinking was incorrect.

Yes, I know I should be taking gravity readings. I guess I always assumed that waiting over 2 weeks was a good way to avoid that step, so really, I'm just trying to figure out if that thinking was incorrect.

It's probably done. But without gravity readings, you'd be guessing.

It's bubbling because you raised the temperature, not because of fermentation activity.

+1 to the above!!

Gravity readings are the only way to measure fermentation.

There's a YouTube video of an empty carboy pretty voilently bubbling the airlock. Do you think that one is still fermenting?

There is definitely CO2 in solution post-fermentation, and moving the carboy will cause that CO2 to off gas, so that's likely what you observed.

I think the others above have it nailed. Take gravity readings. I usually let my beers sit in primary for 3 weeks. I still take readings to make sure it's done though. Likely you degassed the beer and that's what you are seeing. It is possible though that the yeast didn't attenuate completely and you stirred it back up kicking it into action. It's doubtful, but possible. I love my wine thief for taking readings. Sanitize it well and the hydrometer and the beer can go right back in the carboy.

Def do a hydrometer test to see if it's done or not for sure. Bubbling regularly at 30 second intervals would amount to a lot of co2 to off-gass in my estimation. It might have needed to finish off the last couple points. Many of mine have used part of the 3rd week to do so.

All based on temp change. If you took it out and put in the fridge you would suck up the water in the air lock

I did a Kolsch fermented at 62 degrees out of the fermentation chamber and put it out at room temperature for its Diacetyl Rest

The thing out-gassed for two days as it warmed up....

So ya.. that is all that is going on...

Gravity readings confirmed what you guys already knew. Thanks for the knowledge!

Back