2-Row Brewer's Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPG27

Reaction score
Can someone give me a little information on the malt labeled as (Briess) 2-row brewer's malt? How does it differ from other base malts, especially ones that are also 2-row? For example, I want to brew a vienna lager but all 3 of my LBSs are totally out of vienna malt. I want to do an all 2-row vienna, but my LBS only seem to carry Briess' 6-row version.

I understand plain 2-row brewers malt usually has a very low lovibond rating, but how is it taste-wise, and would it be inappropriate in a vienna lager? I would rather not do a 50/50 with pilsner and munich malts. Does anyone make a lager completely out of 2-row brewers malt?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do not know about 6-row but I have done SMaSH brews with 2-row and Vienna and Vienna has a toasty flavor

I like the taste of Vienna it is a warm flavor 2-row is not the same, I have also used German pale malt which is a bit closer IMHO to Vienna

all the best

S_M

Back