2 Row Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flagman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brew all grain and latley I have gotten myself into brewing alot of extravagent and complicated recipes. I was thinking about just making beer this weekend.

5 gals:
10lbs 2 row malt (1.050 Orig Gravity)
1 oz liberty hops (14.3 IBU, 60min)
1056 Wyeast

For whatever reason I never done this before, any thoughts such as Mash Temp, ferment temp? I was thinking about 156F with a cool ferment around 64F.

Comments or experience please,

You would think by my handle I would have something to add, but it is my last name not my experience. Would love to know how this goes, as it could easily be my house brew!

I brew all grain and latley I have gotten myself into brewing alot of extravagent and complicated recipes. I was thinking about just making beer this weekend.

5 gals:
10lbs 2 row malt (1.050 Orig Gravity)
1 oz liberty hops (14.3 IBU, 60min)
1056 Wyeast

For whatever reason I never done this before, any thoughts such as Mash Temp, ferment temp? I was thinking about 156F with a cool ferment around 64F.

Comments or experience please,

Depends what you want, a fairly malty ale? I personally would up the bitterness to 20-25 range

if you want to keep it that simple, id consider a more flavorful malt, like golden promise, maris otter, vienna, or munich. currently everything in there is pretty neutral.

I have two ounces of Liberty on hand, accroding to beer smith 1.5 oz for an hour would get me around 21.4

I think that is what I am going to do, I want this as simple as can be. 60 min mash, batch sparge, dump in hops, boil, ferment, drink!

I have 12 pounds of American 2 row Pale Malt, sorry meant to say that. I was just gonna clear out the closet. I have never done just a plain single grain beer before and had all the stuff listed on hand.

I have two ounces of Liberty on hand, accroding to beer smith 1.5 oz for an hour would get me around 21.4

I think that is what I am going to do, I want this as simple as can be. 60 min mash, batch sparge, dump in hops, boil, ferment, drink!
I think that would make good beer. As my recipes have gotten simpler; my beer has gotten better. :mug:

Why not use some of that extra 0.5 oz Liberty as a flavor/aroma hop?

That is a good idea and I had thought of that but I wanted this exercise to get away from late boil additions, dry hopping, bright tanks, lagering and the other stuff I find my self concerned with with. I was thinking about a teaspoon of irish moss at the most.

You are right though, im already standing around how hard would it be to add a hop addition at the end?

I guess I will call it "Lazy Ale"

Well after setting here thinking about it I am going to lower Mash temp to 150-152 and go for drier rather than sweeter.

Well after setting here thinking about it I am going to lower Mash temp to 150-152 and go for drier rather than sweeter.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Since you won't have any finishing hop, a lower mash temp would help dry it out and balance it a bit better. Otherwise you're looking at a fairly malt-forward ale.

I'm a fan of SMaSH brews once in a while. It's simple, fast, and almost always good!

TB

That is a good idea and I had thought of that but I wanted this exercise to get away from late boil additions, dry hopping, bright tanks, lagering and the other stuff I find my self concerned with with. I was thinking about a teaspoon of irish moss at the most.

You are right though, im already standing around how hard would it be to add a hop addition at the end?

I guess I will call it "Lazy Ale"

perhaps FWH as the only add then to net you a lil more hop character? toss all 2 oz in and you should be around 30IBUs and have 2 things cleared out.

We call these SMaSH beers, single malt and single hops. It's a great way to get a handle on different malts and different hops and how they work together. And they are surprisingly tasty beers.

perhaps FWH as the only add then to net you a lil more hop character? toss all 2 oz in and you should be around 30IBUs and have 2 things cleared out.

That is a great idea, I have only brewed one beer in the past with FWH. It was an Irish Red and the Hop aroma was spectacular.

Thanks for the input, the only problem is this is more than likely going to be the beginning of some 6 grain, up all night, double decotion, fly sparged, lagered 6 months brew in the future. So much for being lazy!

I guess that is why I love homebrewing, I am a chronic tinkerer. Fits right in to brewing. :mug:

Well this one is in the books, brewed Saturday afternoon,

10 pounds 2 row american pale malt
2 oz liberty
Wyeast 1056

70 min @ 152F (got busy and forgot about it, was going for 60min)
Went with .5oz of liberty hops at FWH
split sparge in half, 2 @ 170F for 10 min each
Pre boil Gravity was 1.046
60 min boil w/1.5oz of liberty hops
Teaspoon irish moss last 15 min
pitched Wyeast 1056 at 68F
now resting at 67F

Orig gravity 1.052, was going for 1.050 oh well.

Had a great time with this beer. Im excited to see how it comes out with FWH, if I like it I am going to do it again and add the .5oz of hops at the end to see how they compare.

Thanks for all the input!

What is first wort hops?

basically you add hops to the first runnings. thru the pre-boil steep more hop character is able to stick around than a normal 60min add while also giving roughly 10% more IBUs. it also gives a less harsh bitterness. I use it as my bittering add in anything thats meant to have some hop presence

I wasn't aware of any increase in utilization. Is that documented anywhere?

I also FWH fairly frequently. Some say they can't tell any difference, some can. Best way to find out is try it for yourself.

TB

Can't seem to find Denny's presentation that he had it in, but here's a quote from it

Quote from Denny
" In a split batch I did, one with only FWH Cascades and the other with the same amount of the same hops at 60, the analyses of 2 different labs showed the FWH beer to have on average 10% more IBUs. Blind traingle tasting done both here in Eugen and by Jamil Z. in CA, each with a combo of homebrewers, pro brewers and BJCP judges showed remarkably little ability to tell a difference between the 2 and a slight preference for the FWH beer."

I've read similar documentation elsewhere too but I don't have the references from them anymore

dcp27 said:
Can't seem to find Denny's presentation that he had it in, but here's a quote from it

Quote from Denny
" In a split batch I did, one with only FWH Cascades and the other with the same amount of the same hops at 60, the analyses of 2 different labs showed the FWH beer to have on average 10% more IBUs. Blind traingle tasting done both here in Eugen and by Jamil Z. in CA, each with a combo of homebrewers, pro brewers and BJCP judges showed remarkably little ability to tell a difference between the 2 and a slight preference for the FWH beer."

I've read similar documentation elsewhere too but I don't have the references from them anymore

Good to know about the extra utilization. Thanks!

I read it somewhere also and is the reason I only did half ounce. I have not had enough experience with it to know the difference. This is only my second time to do it. the first time was an Irish red that I kegged. When you would pour a pint the aroma was awsome.

I will say that each time I took the lid off the brew kettle to run off a sparge you could really make out the hop aroma in the wort. I plan to experiment with it a little more in the future using the same recipe and only changing hop schedule. First I have to see how this turns out.

Back