2 Liter Flask Usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epml74

Reaction score
I have a 2l flask that i use for yeast starters. I wanted to try making a fermented hot sauce that calls for emulsifying in a flask on a stir plate. If i use the same flask, would there be any issues using it again for yeast in the future assuming it is cleaned and sanitized prior to use?

If the capsaicin sticks, your next beer will be interesting at the very least. Seems like a very good cleaning and sanitizing should remove any microbes that could cause issues assuming your flask is glass.

if plastic...you have a new dedicated hot sauce fermentor

If the flask is aluminum, be sure that it does not have a plastic coating on the inside before you heat it.

I have a 2l flask that i use for yeast starters. I wanted to try making a fermented hot sauce that calls for emulsifying in a flask on a stir plate. If i use the same flask, would there be any issues using it again for yeast in the future assuming it is cleaned and sanitized prior to use?

You should be able to clean and sanitize glass, no problem. I'm curious though. Having done some fermented hot sauces myself, I'm wondering "Why the stir plate?" That seems like a good way to introduce more O2, which is usually not desirable. I'm assuming this is a Lacto fermentation.

So the recipe is a lacto ferment in a jar. Could be done in a vacuum bag too but once the mash is done fermenting, it’s is strained of the solids, vinegar is added and is put on the stir plate to emulsify prior to bottling. The idea is that it better incorporates the pepper portion and the vinegar. And reduces separation latter after bottling.

Latest posts

Back