2 lbs of caramel malt in 5.5 gal recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
Today I brewed a wheat beer recipe I threw together last minute. I am worried I screwed it up... I used:

6.6lb munton wheat lme
1lb munton caramalt (L10-14)
1lb brieiss caramel 10 malt

1.5 oz hallertau 4.5aa @ 60
1 oz saaz @ flameout

Safale us05

I didn't realize that both lbs of grain I used were basically the same thing. I hope it doesn't taste horrible!!

Was 2 lbs too much if it was only caranel 10? Fermentation started, at least it smells good!

Was 2 lbs too much if it was only caranel 10?

Caramel 10L is the sweetest caramel malt there is- a cararmelly sweet malt. The darker crystals get a bit raisiny or more liked cooked sugar.

With the the low hops level, I'd say it will be pretty sweet but it might be pretty tasty anyway!

Oh geeze... I was thinking about turning this one into a strawberry wheat anyways, I wonder if that would help dry/ balance out the flavor or if it'd make it worse?

I know some people backsweeten fruit beers, maybe too much cara is an alternative >_<

Or maybe I can even just add a lb or two of cornsugar once fermentation slows.

Has anyone added applejuice to their beer during fermentation? I've always wondered about a beer/ apfelwein hybrid. I think a nice head and some malty flavor and mouthfeel could be great with the cider, maybe this is my chance. Joes "caramel apple".

I guess I have some time to think about it seeing as fermentation started this morning. I will HAPPILY take any suggestions.

I guess I have some time to think about it seeing as fermentation started this morning. I will HAPPILY take any suggestions.

my suggestion is to RDWHAHB

I added cider to a beer half a lifetime ago and remember it sucked FWIW...think cidery beer not caramel apple. Fruit may sweeten it more...my vote is to ride it out...sure 2 lbs of crystal is too much perhaps, but throwing other things at the problem just may worsen the situation IMHO.:mug:

if at the end you decide it is way too sweet for your liking, I have had great success with making a "hop tea" and adding that to the fermentor/bottling bucket/keg.

I would just ride it out, and see how it tastes. Hell, you might like it. There are all sorts of rules out there, like mashing low and using less thean 5% crystal malt with IPA's. Then, you taste something like Lagunitas ipa that's mashed at 160 or SN Celebration that has 11% crystal and you realize that the rules aren't the be-all-end-all. Just leave it alone and drink it when it's ready.

I brew a caramel amber with 2 lbs of the 40-60L. It is a hit.

LEAVE OUT THE STRAWBERRY.

If caramel strawberries were a common treat...........maybe. But they're NOT.

Has anyone added applejuice to their beer during fermentation? I've always wondered about a beer/ apfelwein hybrid.

I think its too late for this batch but if you are interest in a beer/cider hybrid check out Brandon O's Graff in the recipe section under Cider. I have made it twice now and I thought it was pretty awesome both times.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm excited about the batch again haha, I will post how it ends up tasting. It sure smells good!

I think now its time to find some other grains to try out, I have only ever played with caramel malts.

Has anyone added applejuice to their beer during fermentation? I've always wondered about a beer/ apfelwein hybrid. I think a nice head and some malty flavor and mouthfeel could be great with the cider, maybe this is my chance. Joes "caramel apple".

Yep, it's called Graff:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

I've used 2lbs of crystal malts in graff: crystal 60, crystal 120, cara munich, cara vienna, etc...
I usually also use some base malt though & that might cut down on some of the sweetness. Turns out very tasty every time I make it & I continue to experiment with various malts.
Regards, GF.

I'm making some graff now! Here's the recipe I threw together.

1 gallon of water
#1 crystal 80
150dF for 30 minutes

1/5 oz hallertau 30 min boil

Add 14 cans applejuice concentrate, cool and top to 4 gallons

9 g nottingham.
Nutrient

Can't wait to see how it turns out! Thanks you!

I just tried my first bottle. Surprisingly it tastes pretty light and dry, I am wondering if I did a poor steep but I can't imagine how I could fail a steep... maybe I didn't do it for long enough? I expected it to be sweeter.

Either way it is good for being a bit premature (bottled 6 days ago). I'm in no way disappointed, its crisp and will be perfect after hot days at work.

Back