2 Brewbuckets in 7 cu ft GE freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I have 7 cu ft GE chest freezer (model FCM7SWW I think) that I use for fermentation with my 2 Better Bottle carboys. I was going to upgrade to the SS Brewtech Brewbuckets but I read they measure 12.5" wide. The floor of my chest freezer is 24" before the compressor hump. I think I could fit 2 Brewbuckets if I angle them to opposite corners but I'm not sure. Anyone ever try this?

I'd confirm they're that width at their widest point, including lids , first. Then cut out two 12.5" (assuming you're correct on the width) circles and see if you can fit them on the bottom of your freezer without overlapping.

The SS brew buckets are narrow at the bottom. So if the comp hump is your issue you may be fine. How high is your hump? The top is the part that is 12.5" wide. 10" at the bottom is sticking in my head. Would need to measure though.

I have a GE 7.0 or 7.1 freezer.Cant remember.I fit two 5 gallon pails in there.Its tight but they fit on the floor of the freezer. I would have to measure how big a 6.5 gallon brew bucket is to compare. I will if it helps

Edit: My brew buckets measure 12.5 at the widest part (the lids).I would think you would be good to go assuming your numbers are correct

I have a 7.1 cu ft Haier chest freezer, and 2 SS Brewtech fermenters fit perfectly in that freezer.

03_FG_Sample.jpg

02_TILT_NEXTDAY.jpg

Where did you get your lid modifications? I was researching the brewmaster buckets and like your blowoff design.

Jeff

I have a 7.1 cu ft Haier chest freezer, and 2 SS Brewtech fermenters fit perfectly in that freezer.

Oh wow. I just wanted the brew bucket. Now I want those tops and the wireless hydrometer. I can't believe I never saw those lids before.

Thanks for the picture. Thinking about it I guess it should fit nice a snug since the bottom is narrower. All I need to do is move one right up against the compressor hump and the taper should move the lid off to the side over the hump.

I finally got around to trying 2 buckets in my chest freezer. It works, in a way. I did a dry run when the buckets arrived and I thought it was fine. Yesterday I added the second bucket after a previous batch sat alone for two weeks. It did not fit. The second one was hitting the top of the first. It wasn't until I had them full that I noticed. My fix was using a lid from an old Polar kettle I was going to get rid of. This fits perfectly and raises the second bucket enough so they both fit. Hard to see in the picture but that is what is going on at the bottom. If I just had some half inch risers it would work too.

View attachment 1485112637396.jpg

Looking at the space above your buckets couldn't you just raise the floor with a slatted shelf to the same height as the compressor bulge?
Looks like you would have tons of room then.

Back