2.54 barrel S.S conical fermenter build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats!! :mug:

I like the conical fermenter design. The thought of going pro has crossed my mind, but I am sticking to 5 gallons at a time for now.

If those welds ever give you trouble we use brite boy pollishing mandrels at work to fix dinged up door pin sockets on airplanes. They're about a half an inch in diameter, so they would be perfect for smoothing out your welds if you ever need. Hope that the brewery is running well for you!

I guess if you wanted to fill things like this.
IMG_2860.JPG

Are those big blue barrels ok to ferment in? I've been wanting to get one or two but don't know the grade of plastic.

Edit 4/16/10 It is my recommendation to use a open head SS drum. I have found finding or making a custom gasket to be unreal. It saves mone for the lid cost as well. The open drum comes with a gasket so you will get an air tight seal.

I was curious... would the gasket and band (the clamping ring that goes around the lid and barrel to secure it) be sufficient to join the cone to the barrel or is welding the only option at this joint?

Did you ever find a solution to the heating/cooling of the active fermentation?

How much of a rise in fermentation temperature did you see at this size? I assume it is more than what us little guys have to manage at the 5 gal level...

Latest posts

Back