1st time using a secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FargoBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Made my first beer since last November a 3 weeks ago. It's a Scottish ale and came with wood chips for a secondary, which allowed me to talk my fiancee into letting me purchase a BetterBottle for secondary fermentation :ban:

Anyway, I let it ferment in my primary bucket for a week, bubbles stopped in the airlock after 2 days. Then moved it to the secondary 2 weeks ago. I didn't really notice anything going on the first week, but the room I kept it in was getting up around 75, so I moved it into a tub of water to keep it cool.

In the week since moving it, my beer does not seem to be clearing up at all, and now has a thin layer of foam at the top. I keep it right around 70 and I'm just not sure if this is what I should expect or if its time to worry.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer, I appreciate it.

I'm sure 2 weeks has done it good. I bet if you looked at the bottom you'd find a layer of yeast that you can now cross off the list of things you'll have in your bottles. 2 weeks is good, 3 would be OK too - Otherwise, bottle away!

kvh

Latest posts

Back