1st Muntons Carb tab use results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
Just bottled some using muntons carb tabs and I am happy with the results. I know that some people have posted in the past regarding these tabs.

I found that my beer carbed faster with them. I had nice carbonation in one week verses just using corn sugar.

Any thoughts? Was it just a coincidence that the beer seemed to bottle condition (carbonation wise) faster?

I basically used the tabs because I party pigged most of the batch and only wanted to bottle a few and didn't want to play around with figuring out corn sugar levels.

i am curious about using these - as the temperature where my bottles will be sitting at will be low 60's... so it will take forever for the yeast to carb them. I am assuming the carb tablets aren't affected by temperature... right?

J
Any thoughts? Was it just a coincidence that the beer seemed to bottle condition (carbonation wise) faster?

Coincidence.....

Carbonation and bottle conditioning are two different animals. And the type of sugar you use, really has little bearing on the length of time it takes to carbs. If you feel you beer carb in a week it's more an factor of the grav of your beer, and the temp you stored it at, then the tabs vs corn sugar vs table sugar vs dme......

Even if you think it's carbed now, if you still wait two weeks you will find you beer vastly improved...Like I said bubbles are only half the issue, and the real work, conditioning, happens AFTER the co2 has been integrated into solution.

If you care to really understand what's going on under the hood during the three weeks at 70 degrees that we find is optimal for beers up to 1.060, read this...
Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Coincidence.....

Carbonation and bottle conditioning are two different animals. And the type of sugar you use, really has little bearing on the length of time it takes to carbs. If you feel you beer carb in a week it's more an factor of the grav of your beer, and the temp you stored it at, then the tabs vs corn sugar vs table sugar vs dme......

Even if you think it's carbed now, if you still wait two weeks you will find you beer vastly improved...Like I said bubbles are only half the issue, and the real work, conditioning, happens AFTER the co2 has been integrated into solution.

If you care to really understand what's going on under the hood during the three weeks at 70 degrees that we find is optimal for beers up to 1.060, read this...
Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Thanks REvvy....i understand that conditioning and bottling carbing are seperate issues. it was just nice to have a bubbly beer in less time to start to taste the fruits of labor. Especially since this was my friends first brew that I walked him through. The beer will only get better with time. Most beers I brew are low carbed anyhow..so its more a conditioning thing I have to have patience for than a carbonation thing

Thanks again....and BTW your referenced link is great. I enjoyed reading it while being "Edjumacated" on bottling. In fact I have my first partial mash Vanilla Stout that proves your point. It is pretty pungent with vanilla extract "alcohol" flavor. I used organic exxtract from trader joe's, so hopefully in a few monthsor years...it mellows out.

Latest posts

Back