1st fruit beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
So, I have a half dozen extract kits now under my belt. For my 7th one, I decided to make a raspberry wheat. I used Northern Brewer's American Wheat extract to start with. Then, after reading and talking to many people, I elected to rack that beer on top of three pounds of formerly frozen, but at the time of racking, thawed raspberries. The wheat was in primary for one week and had reached its FG. I was told by N. Brewer my brewing plan and they said one week in primary for that kit (OG was 1.040, so pretty modest) would be plenty. Fermentation went as planned and my FG was 1.011 or so.

Woke up this morning to see the raspberries (or what's left of them as they're kind of all mashing up/dissolving kind of) still at the top of my Better Bottle. Will they eventually settle out? I would assume, as it's only been 12 hours since I racked. I also noticed some modest airlock activity. I assume that's from the yeast having new sugars to consume from the fruit?

Is there anything to be concerned with here or does everything sound normal? I think I'm okay, but have never done a fruit beer before so just wanted to make sure I'm okay.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400407315.088636.jpg Its fine. The fruit will kick a little fermentation up again and some berries will settle but not all. The pic is 2 weeks in secondary.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

How did yours turn out? How many pounds of raspberries did you use? Was bottling a pain? I've heard on some forums that seeds and stuff kept clogging up peoples racking cane. I hope that's not the case in a couple of weeks.

I used 3.5 lbs fresh. I think it turned out great. We drank all but 2 bombers worth in no time. If you've had harpoons razz wheat. You'll love this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry bottling wasn't that bad I wrapped my racking cane in a few layers of cheese cloth and used a rubber band

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Finished a raspberry brown three weeks ago that looked a lot like yours....looks good to me and you'll see a split between some 'berries' floating on top, while others float to the bottom.

Recommend using a paint strainer to help account for berry residual that could get siphoned in.

Good luck!

Back