1st fruit beer, what do you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AviatorTroy

Reaction score
The girl wants a blueberry beer of some kind so I think a Belgian Wit would be a good place to start. Just threw this plan together, wont have a chance to brew it for a few weeks. I want something very light in color, pretty dry, and nice and cloudy.

5.25# Belgian Pils
5# Belgian Wheat
1# Flaked Oats
.25# Aromatic

20 min protein rest at 130
60 min mash at 148-150 (lower temp for more fermentability)

.75oz Hallertau 60 min
.25oz NB 60 min
.25oz Hallertau 30 min

1tsp coriander, 1 single clove at flameout

WLP400 Belgian Wit

2# blueberries crushed and frozen with a couple campden tabs overnight, then into the secondary for a couple weeks.

According to Tastybrew this is supposed to be

OG 1.048
FG 1.012
IBU 20
SRM 4
ABV 4.6

FYI, blueberry is very very subtle. I used 3# puree in a 5g wheat and no one could tell me that those were blueberries in there. Turned it a little pink, and there was definitely a slight fruit taste.

So, since I haven't had much success, I won't give you any further advice. Just a cautionary tale.

ive got a batch of raspberry ale sitting now. i racked onto 4 pounds of frozen fruit. its been 2 weeks im bottling this week ill let you know how it turns out

I would agree with the above poster about the subtle taste of blueberries. I did a cream ale with 40 oz of rasberries that turned out fantastic. I think thats because raspberries have so much flavor and bitterness.

Ok, second thoughts, I'm thinking white wheat since I'm doing a protein rest, I'll still get plenty of fermentable conversion.

Second, 4# blueberries ought to do it without overpowering everything. Yes?

Latest posts

Back