1st beer - fining agent?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
My first beer is just about ready. It's mostly clear, but I was wondering if the use of a fining agent such as sparkaloid or superkleer inhibits at all the ability of the beer to carbonate in the bottle after adding priming sugar. Should I use a fining agent?

Do you have a fridge you can put the beer into? if so thats the best fining agent IMO cold temps and time..not only does it clear the beer it develops your patience..cause in this hobby patience is virtue..if you go down the gelatin route the beer needs to be cold anyway for it to be effective..cheers

it sounds like my experiences have been a bit different from helibrewer. i think that some fining agents might indeed take out so much yeast that carbonation is a problem. super-kleer in particular seems like it has a pretty reasonable chance of doing so.

my experience with gelatin has been that if i bottle within about 3 days of adding the fining agent, the beer carbs up fine in a couple or few weeks. but if i go to a week or more, it takes eons to carb, if it does at all.

you can play it safe by adding about 1/8 tsp of rehydrated dry yeast at bottling time.

Back