1st beer fermenting. Time for 2nd one :-) Need advice on hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
So I got my 1st beer (honey porter) tugging at my patience in a primary. If not for the advice on this forum, it would be sitting right now in the secondary.

The only way to deal with my impatience is to start on the 2nd one.
Last kit I got from Midwest Supplies. This time I want to downsize a recipe to 3Gal batch and Brewmasters Warehouse has that nice build-a-recipe feature I am trying to use to build a kit for myself.

I am torn between these two recipes:

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/1898571b/b57-brewing-co-hubba-hubba-hefeweizen

and

http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/8fed0dec/bonehead-brewery-clumsy-wheat

I am looking for really deep aroma. Which one you think would fit the requirement better?

Also, I assume for making a 3 gallon batch, I just need to just multiply 5 gallon recipe quantities by .6 ?

flip a coin on those kits. they're pretty close.

the answer to your second question is yes.

What do you mean by aroma? Hops, yeast or what?

From my perspective the main flavor component in a hefeweizen is the yeast. I believe WL300 and WY3068 are the same strain. Fermenting in the 60's will give you more banana and a cleaner taste. Fermenting >70 will give more of a clove flavor. I just made a hefeweizen and I think the banana/clove aroma is wonderful. My recipe was from NB and closer to #1.

If you want more of a hops aroma the second recipe does have a later addition. Here is a description "Very mellow, sweet aroma with mild herbal spiciness".

You probably can't go wrong with either one.

I was thinking for my 2nd one do a partial-mash recipe. Does not look like any more complex than extract recipe. I think I may stick with White Labs WLP300, unless there is a strong reason to go with Danstar dry or other yeast. I want to be closer to the clove side than banana. My fermentation temps though likely will be in 72-75 range.

yeah, I was looking at the wyeast site and it looks like I had it bass-ackwards. A guy at my LHBS told me the other way around. Sorry.

Back