1st all grain batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OleBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After deciding to go all grain this spring the search for keggles emerged. Thus the local bottle shop gave up 2 and 1 found at the recycling yard. All 3 for $120. Starting this project I did not think I would get them as fast and the funds to make them serviceable are scarce. Also in the pursue of looking for kegs at the recycling yard I found where the coke plant got rid of there old soda kegs. Around $6 scrap cost. A little tlc and they seal.

Any way after 6 mini mashes I decided to take the old cream can and see if I could do an all grain. A little over 10# grist and some what modified BIAB/batch sparge method I got 5 gallons of wort at around 1.056.

The picture is the beginning of the mash with my brewing assistant. don't worry she is drinking root beer.

And to point out my self of the flimsy plastic spoon, it needs an upgrade. Got a maple board to make the mash paddle. The water tank in the back is the cider fermenter; that's another thread all together.

Photo09100958.jpg

Nice man! I have a few quality control members too :) now hit up Brewhardware and get a sight glass kit with a thermometer you won't regret it.

I thought about a sight glass but in someways I am a minimalist. Something more and small to clean. A stick with measurements will be close enough for me.

Do need a thermometer for mash tun though

It's been a slow go. I have had these kegs for to long with out being able to utilize them. Hopefully by end of March I will get the first brew out of it. It's been friggin cold hear in ND to want to do anything outside.

oops I should've posted this in diy section.

Back