1st AG biab -looong day some mishaps.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aboman

Reaction score
Today was my 3rd brewday, the first two were in the kitchen with LMG kits. This time I decided I had lurked here enough, so I obtained some equipment, found a recipie and ordered the ingredients. I added an extra lb of carared to that since I didn't think I'd get 91% efficiency! I also added a bit of orange zest to the recipe at the end.. and I had to sub the hops to others that I could get... but they were all on hops charts, oh and I used double the saaz at the end, I got leafs and they just smelled too good.

The yeast arrived VERY hot. I'm in Florida and I learned that ordering live cultures this time of year is a bad idea. Luckily I ordered stuff to get a 2L yeast starter kit as well. Got the starter going Friday night -around midnight. It was fizzing good whenever I walked by and swirled until about this morning, I guess the yeasties consumed the DME I gave them and are waiting for more hopefully. No krausen formed in beaker, just lots of fizzy CO2 when swirled.

Today I set up to brew. Typical BIAB setup with frying basket to hold bag. I set my pre-boil gravity was 1.050 higher than expected, but I had no idea what my efficiency would be, I expected 1.040+.

Hot break and boiling seemed to all go well, I added hops pretty much on schedule.

I forgot to add my honey at flame out.

Then, I had another mishap. I built a very, shall we say, rudimentary cooler - 20' copper coil in an old paint bucket (5gallon). I filled said bucket with 20lb ice and started hose to get water in there as well. I opened spigot on brew kettle and waited for some wort to come though.. It came COLD! I took a sample and rushed it off to a thermometer, while fiddeling with that my hose decided to spring a leak (it has looked bad for a while and then water pressure on it all day today). Thus the hot wort splurged through into the carboy, I guess it melted a nice air path through the ice with a touch of water at the bottom. (The wort i grabbed was 40F btw).

I heard a sound, turned around and saw the brand new plastic carboy thing deforming. I also saw a nice fountain from my hose. I ran over and realized hot wort was getting into it -i killed the flow, fiddled a bit and got water into the bucket and stirred teh ice/water. Then started it again and let the carboy fill while stirring the ice. I added some more ice later.. No idea what temps were I just felt 'cool' coming out and that was all I could check at that point. I adjusted flow to keep it 'cool', and not 'cold' or 'warm'.

I have a glass carboy, it was in a fridge cold crashing. I decided to bottle that and rack the new saison over to the glass carboy. I added the honey I forgot to add at flame out while racking that over.

My OG looks to be around 1.60 -I stole a sample from the carboy after honey was mixed in. Other note -my first sample was only 1.040 gravity. with LOTS of sediment settling that seemed weird?

I haven't pitched the 3711 yeast yet, I have the wort sitting in a bathtub with water and ice packs trying to bring temps down from the 78F ambient it got while waiting for me to bottle. My plan was to try to pitch around 65F and then let it ramp its own temps while sitting in the water bath. Ambient in there is around 75 or so.

My main question is, will allowing that hot wort to enter the plastic carboy (about 1 pint maybe?) release a ton of chemicals into my wort/beer?

My main conclusion is, I have learned a lot. Mostly, watch your stuff all the time.

To anybody who read through this wall of text, thanks! Any comments would be appreciated.

TL;DR: I put about a pint of hot wort in plastic big mouth fermenter. It now looks funny. Moved wort to a glass carboy after bottling contents of said carboy. Will chemicals be in beer from plastic?

Welcome to the forum. RDWAHAHB.

The more you brew, the better your process becomes. Given your current situation, I wouldn't worry about it. A pint is a small amount in a five gallon batch. I am also not sure any chemicals from the deformed plastic were released and absorbed by your wort.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Once you get comfy in your process you'll get careless at times; it just happens, and add 4-5 beers during brewday, plus people hanging out, the wife asking you questions about other stuff/making you do other stuff, kids, etc, etc... you'll forget a lot more than what you did, and run into other mishaps too, but your beer will most likely come out fine.
Always use food grade plastic so you limit any chemicals making it into your beer. I've added boiling wort from my kettle right into a plastic carboy before and it turned out ok.

I definitely made beer that day took a sample, gravity at 1.008 smells and tastes great.

I also called Northern Brewer a few days after the bubbler incident, not expecting anything except their laughter, which I did receive. However they also went ahead and shipped me a new bubbler at no cost -amazing customer service and they sound like fun guys. I'll buy from them in the future for certain.

Lesson here is don't dump boiling liquids into plastic. If you do then RDWAHAHB, you'll probably still make beer.

Thanks!

Back