1kg sugar & 500g SDM for 1 can kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasebrooker

Reaction score
I'm still at the newbie stage and I've made a couple of 1 can kits following the idiots guide enclosed. I want to start messing about with it a bit and I was thinking of adding 500g muntons medium spray dry malt as well as 1kg brewing sugar to try and boost the alcohol level whilst giving it a bit of body. I know that everyone recommends I use spray malt only for a better taste but I was hoping that keeping the sugar in there will give the yeasties something to chew on and increase the final vol.

Cheers all

That's pretty close to what I do for the Cooper's Canadian Blonde kit. I use a 1kg bag of Munton's Beer Kit Enhancer and an extra 200 grams of dextrose. This works out to 500gr of DME and 700gr of dextrose. The beer comes out fine for my purpose: a cheaper alternative to Canadian macro beers like Molson Canadian and Labatts Blue (I happen to think my Canadian Blonde tastes a little better than these).

If you liked a particular beer kit with just the 1kg of dextorse I don't really see how adding 500gr of DME can change anything for the worse.

That's pretty close to what I do for the Cooper's Canadian Blonde kit. I use a 1kg bag of Munton's Beer Kit Enhancer and an extra 200 grams of dextrose. This works out to 500gr of DME and 700gr of dextrose. The beer comes out fine for my purpose: a cheaper alternative to Canadian macro beers like Molson Canadian and Labatts Blue (I happen to think my Canadian Blonde tastes a little better than these).

If you liked a particular beer kit with just the 1kg of dextorse I don't really see how adding 500gr of DME can change anything for the worse.

what ABV do you get when you do that kit? it's one i plan to do in the near future.

1 pound is 454g,so adding 500g of DME isn't going to raise the ABV by much. With the dextrose added as well,you're looking at some 4.5-5%.

Yeah,just keep in mind your adding twice as much sugar as DME. So it'll come out ok so far as commercial quality is concerned.

unionrdr said:
The other way around is typical. But you be the judge ultimately.

So a kg of DME to 500g sugar is better? I'm happy doing it either way around

Back