1HP single-phase 120V centrifugal pump wiring help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone out there has any experience working with centrifugal pumps or really any motors I suppose that use 120VAC single-phase. So the deal is I have a 1HP pump (many have probably seen them - example TECHTONGDA 110V Food Grade Centrifugal Pump Sanitary Beverage Pump 3 Ton #304 SS 681381553356 | eBay) that I really need to install a VFD on. But I'm not really finding much in the way of VFD's that take 120VAC single phase input, and output 120VAC single phase. There are no wiring diagrams so I'm just trying to reverse engineer from the wiring alone (which I've crudely drawn out if it helps.) I just don't have enough experience with these types of pumps and I don't understand why the motor has 3 wires (one of which is NOT ground) and uses a running capacitor.

If there's anyone out there with this kind of experience I'll do just about anything for some help!

Thanks!

VFD can be used with 3 phase motor or single phase synchronous motors. Pumps like you mentioned usually have asynchronous AC motor. In that case you need not a VFD but voltage regulator. You can try something like this - Amazon.com

Thank you - so after I posted I did a ton of research and learned that what I got this isn't going to work. I tried a voltage regulator similar to the one you posted but since the pump is a cap start it kind of doesn't get going under it has enough just from the cap and then it's on or off pretty much. This pump is just not the right one and I tried to regulate it with choking the outlet but then it just starts burning up.

Blah. Lot of money wasted!

You can use a valve to do a flow control.

I tried. It was burning up the pump motor severely (to the point it was leaking/smoking.) I believe the way this motor is designed it has no way to disengage if it's choked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back