1970s "Dark" Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shakey's as mentioned also had a dark beer. Don't remember if it also was Schlitz.

images.jpg

CSB: In high school I worked a little PT job as the weekend closer at a local Shakey's. The dining room stopped serving around 8, but we stayed open another couple hours for pickup orders, which was a big chunk of the business. I was the guy who came in just after the dinner rush to help in the kitchen for those pickup orders, then I did cleanup later. We would always get a few no-shows, so we had a few pizzas that we "had" to eat ourselves. One night, it was two extra-large pepperonis. For those not familiar with Shakey's pizza, it was greasy. Really greasy. The pepperonis would curl up in the oven into little cups, with little pools of tallow in each. Even the cheese was greasy (whole milk mozzarella).

So after closing, the half dozen of us (including the mgr.) sat down at one of the benches in the dining room (remember those ugly-ass picnic tables inside?) with the unclaimed pizzas and a couple pitchers of PBR. We would tip the ends of each slice into a 12 oz. beer glass to drain the excess grease. Two pizzas later, that glass was about half full of the orange-ish tallow. :eek:

Then the rest of the crew would punch out and leave. I'd remain to clean the place--mop the floors, wipe the tables, clean the prep area, etc. Manager was cool. Before leaving he said I could have one pitcher of beer while I worked, as long as I was done with cleaning by 1AM. I was the only one there the next couple hours.

My 18-year-old self loved that job.

/CSB

Last edited:
Back