1870's Texas/German beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpruett

Reaction score
So I've come to find out that my great-something grandfather owned a beer garden place in Galveston called "Schmidt's Garden" that was open from the 1850s (I think) through about 1900.

What sort of beer do you suppose they had there? Something like a Classic American Pilsner? Something more like a German Pilsener? Something like an Altbier or Kolsch? Or something entirely different?

I think it would be cool to try and recreate whatever it was that they made back in those days, but I don't have the slightest idea what would have been common in Texas in the 1870s among German immigrant communities.

The beers they would have had would have changed between 1850 and 1900 as the palate changed. They would have started with the more traditional heavier German Beers, for about the first 10-15 years, but but in the 1860's to 1870's they too would have followed the trend of the other german brewer's around the country and adopted the lighter "American Lager," that the Bush's and others adopted from the work of Anton Schwartz and Karl Balling.

I give an overview here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/you-can-lead-horse-water-221536/#post2600475

I would definitely dig into Maureen Ogle's book, which covers the history of this time period really well.

ambitious-brew-the-story-of-american-beer-20802185.jpeg

I would also start digging around the American Brewiana Association website, you might find more info, and maybe even be able to lay your hands on some actual swag from the brewery. I betcha someone has some. The ABA is a great source of brewing history.

Awesome awesome legacy.:mug:

So I've come to find out that my great-something grandfather owned a beer garden place in Galveston called "Schmidt's Garden" that was open from the 1850s (I think) through about 1900.

What sort of beer do you suppose they had there? Something like a Classic American Pilsner? Something more like a German Pilsener? Something like an Altbier or Kolsch? Or something entirely different?

I think it would be cool to try and recreate whatever it was that they made back in those days, but I don't have the slightest idea what would have been common in Texas in the 1870s among German immigrant communities.

I think the CAP idea sounds most likely. It would fit the general history of the beer and the time period. Brew it up with American malt and corn combined with German hops. :mug:

It would also depend on what part of germany your ancestors came from. A munich pils is a world different from a hessen pils.. each region have their own version of any given style.

Very cool, Texas brewing history is a neat subject, especially when it is family. My namesake and great, great, great grandfather was an original member of the Shiner Brewing Association which developed into Shiner Bock. They collect and share a bunch of info about early Chzech and German immigrants brewing, also the Kreische Brewery state park is pretty neat.

Very cool, Texas brewing history is a neat subject, especially when it is family. My namesake and great, great, great grandfather was an original member of the Shiner Brewing Association which developed into Shiner Bock. They collect and share a bunch of info about early Chzech and German immigrants brewing, also the Kreische Brewery state park is pretty neat.

I've just discovered Shiner Bock in the last month or so, it's become my go-to commercial beer. Thank you great great great grandad!!!! :mug:

It's mentioned on page 7 of this document about German Music in Galveston as well. Do a text search for the name Schmidt's and you'll find the sentence.

http://ecommons.txstate.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1037&context=jtmh

Yep... old F.W. Schmidt was my grandmother's grandfather, or could have been her great-grandfather I suppose. I do know that they kept the German naming trend up until her generation, but they quit naming their kids names like Bertha and Frederick.

I should ask her- she's quite the geneaology enthusiast and probably knows tons about it! She'd probably get a kick out of the idea that I want to try and reproduce something similar.

F.W. Schmidt was my g-g-g grandfather. He opened an amusement park in Galveston, in the outlots he purchased directly from the Galveston Bay Company. He served coffees, sour milk, all assortments of liquors and beers. He had all sorts of amusements and regularly had music.
His beer was so good that the citizens of Galveston petitioned the state legislature to exempt FW from the beer tax, because, the citizens said, they lived on a barren sand bar, full of mosquitos and the only respite they had was FW's beer.
After he died, his son Louis tried to carry on the tradition, but ultimately the land was split among the kids. Louis' house, across the street, survived the 1900 storm and is still there.
Hopefully your line wasn't through FW's son Quarantine (yep, that was one of the kids).

A lot of the Shiner is kind of mediocre. But the Bock is solid. And the Czech Pils is fantastic.

Shiner Bock has a special place in my heart. It was the first "real beer" I discovered other than the BMC stuff. It has it's critics but the taste+history for me will always make it a go to brew.

I hope the OP will hit the internet and books and do some research. I feel ashamed when I sit with my Grandfather and he names off 20-30 relatives when telling a story about his past. My family knowledge doesn't go any farther than first cousins. Good luck with you search and I'm sure it will be a special brew when you decide what it will be.

F.W. Schmidt was my g-g-g grandfather. He opened an amusement park in Galveston, in the outlots he purchased directly from the Galveston Bay Company. He served coffees, sour milk, all assortments of liquors and beers. He had all sorts of amusements and regularly had music.
His beer was so good that the citizens of Galveston petitioned the state legislature to exempt FW from the beer tax, because, the citizens said, they lived on a barren sand bar, full of mosquitos and the only respite they had was FW's beer.
After he died, his son Louis tried to carry on the tradition, but ultimately the land was split among the kids. Louis' house, across the street, survived the 1900 storm and is still there.
Hopefully your line wasn't through FW's son Quarantine (yep, that was one of the kids).

Don't know what child I'm descended from him through, although I do know that it was through one of the sons- my grandmother's maiden name was Schmidt, and her father's name was Frederick Schmidt also.

I really need to discuss it with her the next time I'm down in La Marque; she's quite the amateur genealogist and likes to talk, so I'm sure I'll hear everything I ever wanted to, and then some!

Back