15 or 20 gallon pots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmoody

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I am about to order my boil kettle and mash tun. I plan to be doing 5 gallon batches, not that 10 won't be out of the question. I also want the ability to do "big beers". I really don't know if I will ever switch to 10 gallon batches, but it's not outside of the realm of possibilities. The cost difference between the 15 and 20 gallon isn't really a big deal. So, that being the case, what are the advantages/disadvantages for going with 20 gallon kettles vs 15 gallon? What would you do in this case? I would really appreciate advice from those that have used 20 gallon kettles to brew 5 gallon batches in an electric setup and any that have done 10 gallon in 15 gallon setups.

Are you planning on doing a HERMS system?
It takes about 8 gallons of sparge water to submerge my HERMS coil in a 15 gallon Concord HLT/HERMS pot.

I used 30' stainless coiled tubing with a silght gap between loops.
I put the element about as low as I thought feasible, but I did keep a gap of about an inch between the element and the coil so they won't rub.

Maybe I could have gotten it all to fit in 5 gallons if I really worked at it.
And you can always pour out some of the sparge water...

Now your original question was 5 gallon batch in 20 gallon pot? Depends on your brewing method I guess.

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it. The coil description makes sense. The gaps would make circulation easier also.

I plan to make a HERMS system. Clone of a popular system from another site that suggests that you use 3 x 20 gallon Blichmann pots. I am not at all against that method, just wonder if I could get the exact same results with a 15 gallon boil and MLT as I already have a 20 gallon Blichmann that I intend to use as my HLT.

So to the 5 gallon batch in a 20 gallon pot question. Using an electric water heater element (or if Blichmann gets their heating coil out soon enough such that it can be adapted to a custom control panel) to provide the heat. There is a page on the aforementioned popular site that mentions that you can indeed make 5 gallon batches on the system. But is there any negative going with the 20 gallon pots for 5 gallon batches, or for my intentions going with the 15 gallon versions to possibly, maybe, occasionally do 10 gallon batches?

The one thing I have learned from this hobby: when you have a chance to go bigger do it. Even if if seems like total overkill i seem to find myself eventually using it, needing it or wishing I went bigger!

20. Hands down, no questions, don't even bother with 15'ers.

I have 15 gallon kettles, assuming I'd do 10 and 5 gallon batches... Not worth it, get the larger kettles and save yourself money and hassle down the road. =)

I find it a pain to use oversized kettles, personally. Depth during mash, depth to cover HERMs coil, keeping element submerged etc. I would very much advise 15s for 5 gal batch, with the occasional 10. If the 10gals will be common then by all means go for the 20s.

Edit: But clearly you can see I'm in the minority, lol. I do think it'd be prudent to ask these guys to post what their average batch size is just for clarity's sake.

i have 15 gallon keggles, I wish I had 20 gallon pots. I wish I had 30 gallon pots, I wish I had 1bbl pots, I with I had ..... you get the picture.

Get bigger, then build a stand so you don't have to move them around.

I really do appreciate the input!

I can definitely see not wanting keggles, buddy of mine has built the electric brewery and is using keggles for the boil and HLT and a 15 gallon Blichmann for the mash tun. The 15 gallon HLT keggle my buddy has is very limiting due to how high the water level needs to be to submerge the coils, which is why I will be using my 20 gallon for the HLT.

Part of me agrees with iijakii on the oversized issues. I measured my buds 15 gallon pot and at the 5 gallon mark, there is 6 inches of water, on my 20, there is 5 inches. Not a lot of difference I guess. Still deciding...

Back