15 gallons...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
...is how much beer I've had to throw away today.

I started brewing a couple of months ago, and have been doing 2 and 3 gallon batches to try and get some decent recipes of my own before I build a big brew rig. Things were going well, and the few 'green' bottles I tasted were pretty nice. So I cracked a bottle that's 6 weeks old today...

And it tasted like vinegar and cold medicine mixed. Disgusting. Cracked a few more and the rest of the batch did, too. Down the drain it goes.

So I tried another, slightly younger batch and it had much the same taste. Samr with the next batch, and the next. Even bottles that are only a couple of weeks old taste like cough medicine with a hint of vinegar. Search HBT and it seems it's an infection causing phenols in my ales. Boo! Damn bacteria!

So, in conclusion, I'm blaming poor sterilization (and I thought I was doing it right) and I think it's the tubing that's the problem since it's the one thing all my batches have in common so far. Any idea how to properly steralise a racking cane and tube?

Gutted.

AJ

(I can't even RDWHAHB since I've poured most of it away!)

I clean mine IMMEDIATELY after using with warm water and then it goes in the bucket with oxy-clean, rinsed and dried off and stored. Before use I rinse again and then spray down with Star San.

You should check everything in you system and do a through sanitation of all equipment. New tubing is cheap!

Throw it away and buy a new one. If it's contaminated it's not worth taking the chance on another batch. This goes for tubing and any other cheap plastic parts that scratch and discolor.

Latest posts

Back