15 gallon score!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
I just landed these 2 freebies from my brother (brand new) I have seen them in other posts. My question is this:

what size drill bit do I need to fit a grommet, and what size grommet do I order.

My brother tells me that provided the buckets are new, you can ferment in them>. But understand that most of these units are used for dangerous chemicals, hence the warning to not reuse.

Any experience re: personal use would be appreciated.

15 gal ferms.jpg

you have 266 post--a lot more than my n00bie self so I assume you know that if those are not food grade containers they can produce off-flavors in your tasty brews. :mug:

No need to drill! Take out the small plug and a drilled stopper will fit right in. I can't remember the size but it's 1-1/16" across the top and 15/16" across the bottom of the stopper. I think it's a #6 but don't quote me on that. I just looked it up it's a 5.5

What was stored in them?

No need to drill! Take out the small plug and a drilled stopper will fit right in. I can't remember the size but it's 1-1/16" across the top and 15/16" across the bottom of the stopper. I think it's a #6 but don't quote me on that. I just looked it up it's a 5.5

What was stored in them?

5 and a half. thanks!

Nothing was ever stored in them, they're bran spanking new!

No blow off needed for larger fermentor. Use a number 6 (i think) stopper with air lock and you're good to go.

Picture of fermentor

Youtube of it in action ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFBOYCJRISk

(My first 10 Gal AG video)

15 gal ferms.jpg

Thats awesome. I will let you send me one. Seriously I will :D

I work in the chemical industry and see these things around a lot. They are perfectly safe. But definately don't use one if it's been used before. I wish my fridge was big enough to hold one.

Back