1272 vs 1056

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jzimpleman

Reaction score
Curious what people's experience with Wyeast 1272 is in comparison to 1056. I know 1056 is an old battle horse that has served well for a long time, but it sounds like 1272 finishes a bit cleaner with a tighter turb layer less likely to stir during transfer and it tends to attenuate more.

It almost sounds to good to be true, so wondered what the experience has been in reality. I've got 1272 on its way for a Black Imperial IPA, so I'll have my own experience in a few weeks to share.

Personally, I really like WY1272 over WY1056 for several reasons, trub compaction not being one of them.

Last fall I split a batch of my house IPA and pitched 1272 into one and 1056 into the other carboy. Fermented at 64F for 1 week and brought the temperature up to 68F by the end of the second week. Both finished at the same FG, so no difference there. Both came out clean and bright.

Flavor and aroma comparison, I thought the 1272 came out with more aroma and the same flavor. I easily picked out the two of the four glasses my wife poured for me with the 1272 over the 1056 just by aroma -- much stronger and more distinctly fruity and citrus.

If I want a stronger fruity flavor, I know that I can ferment the 1272 starting at 68F - 70F and get a stronger fruity flavor as well.

Back