12 Quart BIAB Pot Recommendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMCosco

Reaction score
Looking to do 1.5 gallon BIAB batches (scaling back from 5 gallon, 2 vessel all grain). Interested in "induction ready" as well.

Any recommendations for a brew pot? I have found several online just seeing if anyone has one they are currently using and are happy with.

Can't find the exact pot but there are several "mainstay" brand on walmart that are $10-25.

The one I'm thinking of was $12 12 qt stainless pot with lid, and was reported to be induction compatible. What I would probably do is head to your local walmart, verify the return policy on these (sometimes they charge return/restocking fee on weird stuff), and buy a couple different models to test out and return the ones that don't work with inducton.

While we're on the topic, I would recommend one of the duxtorp induction burners (1800w) or the IKEA Tillreda ($45 1800w, free 2 year warranty).

Also howdy neighbor! You happen to be in any of the clubs nearby?

Can't find the exact pot but there are several "mainstay" brand on walmart that are $10-25.

While we're on the topic, I would recommend one of the duxtorp induction burners (1800w) or the IKEA Tillreda ($45 1800w, free 2 year warranty).

I found the pot you are referring to. Looks like $20 maybe. I will give it a shot.

Do you have experience with either of those two? That Ikea one almost seems like a no-brainer for an entry-level burner to play around with

The cheap Wal-Mart pots are induction capable. I have a 12 and a couple 16s.

I found the pot you are referring to. Looks like $20 maybe. I will give it a shot.

Do you have experience with either of those two? That Ikea one almost seems like a no-brainer for an entry-level burner to play around with

I have experience with two different models from duxtorp/secura, 8100 and 9100 models.

The TILLREDA burner from IKEA, manufactured by INTERTEK (a company in UK, which has factories in China AFAIK) is a fairly new product in the us (8/1/2017 sales start date). It's covered under the standard 1 year return policy if you're unhappy with it, keep your receipt and packaging. If it's still in good condition, you should be able to return it for full price.

I'm interested in grabbing one myself and doing a review, as there's some cool features like full ceramic glass coverage over the entire surface (no raised edges), cord management, a timer feature (not sure if it behaves like a lamp timer where you can have it off then turn it on, or if it works like cook at X power level for Y time, or both), multiple power settings 0-10 (no published wattage levels), and multiple temp settings (I wouldn't trust them for a mash temp, but might be useful for preheating strike water while you get ready).

Full disclosure: I currently work for IKEA as a sales person in the MI store in several departments, but have not tried it for brewing yet. This is not an advertisement or part of my job, I just think it's a cool product for small batch brewers. I would hesitate to use it for a full sized batch, as I have not received a weight limit from the relevant people (US manager Kitchen and dining appliances) and/or Intertek.

Haven't tested it, and it is also very dependent on the induction properties of the pot, and how wide the pot is.

Like I said above, the duxtorp 1800w burner I am able to maintain a low boil in my 9 gallon kettle although getting it there takes awhile. YMMV.

Insulating the kettle on an induction set up is key, including the cover.

just like any electric setup, it depends on the wattage vs. batch size. Induction is at least 90% efficient.

For 3 gallon batches with ~4g boils, i don't need any insulation on either the 1800W or 3500W.

Yes, you're right, the glass top ones are not. The SS top cheaper Mainstay ones are. I have a 12 and three 16s. The glass 16 quart I bought I use for a starsan bucket.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=598424

Just checked the cheaper Mainstay ones at Walmart. A magnet does not stick to the bottom. Can you check yours and report back? These do not seem induction capable.

Magnets are not a foolproof test.

If a magnet sticks to it, you're guaranteed it will work.

if a magnet doesn't stick to it, it just means it's unlikely to work. Not that it won't work.

How well a non-magnetic SS works with induction will depending on a bunch of tons of different factors, and the science requires some quantum mechanics. As such, it's much easier to do the magnet test, and if that doesn't work, then to test it then try to "figure out if" it might work.

Credentials: Degree in physics research, sells appliances (including induction cooktops), and I have 2 SS pots that are non-magnetic but are induction compatible.

None of my induction pots are magnetic.

You can always return the pot to Wal-Mart if it doesn't work. Just don't take the stickers off. But these do work.

I use the cheap $12 Mainstays 16QT SS pot from Wal-Mart. have been using it for years.

Back