12 hour days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swifty

Reaction score
My job is bitchin 50 weeks of the year but, I'm ass deep in one of the two that suck. 12 hour days for a week plus. I consider it some sort of penance. You guys have gigs like that?

I started my current job in Feb of this year. Since I've been here, the plant has been open at least 6 days a week. Mostly working 10's and 12's. Remember, it could be worse! Weld shop and no air conditioning in the plant. Sure am glad I went to college. It gets mighty cold in my office sometimes :D

I worked 6-7 days a week 10-16 hours/day for almost 5 years as a floor supervisor. The worst stretch was 14 straight 16 hour days. When I finally got a weekend, all I did was laundry, dishes, and grocery shop, so it felt like 2 more.

I really don't know how our management keeps doing this to our people. Well, I know how it's happening, but the plant manager needs to lay some fists down and get rid of a lot of incompetence. It's, IMO, very avoidable, if others just knew how to plan **** and would be held accountable for their lack of doing anything right.

I work at a 24h restoration service. Sometimes it's 8 hour days, sometimes it's 36 hour days. Wasn't that bad when I was hourly, but not really digging the salary thing now.

And I'm on call next week, BLAH.

I worked in a factory mostly making plastic parts while going to school. Mostly 8 hour days, but sometimes you had to cover people were (or called in) sick and then you got a sudden 12 hour shift. This went on for several years. In fact, it was most of the 6 years I worked there after my 2 years degree. 6-7 days a week.

One time I did not have a day off for 3 straight months.

My job is bitchin 50 weeks of the year but, I'm ass deep in one of the two that suck. 12 hour days for a week plus. I consider it some sort of penance. You guys have gigs like that?

A couple summers in college I worked at a plastics plant making packaging (extruding, printing, and trimming/shipping)... making cut-stock for solo cups, cereal bags, and everything in between...

We worked, with no climate control (we had some big fans to move air, at least), through the summer doing 12 days on, 2 days off. Thankfully, it was a Teamster shop, so OT pay made up for it. Made a lot of money working Sundays with 2x pay (for the first 8) and 3x pay (for the last 4)... Worked night shift for some of that time, which at least meant it wasn't as hot in the factory. Lifting heavy rolls of stock on a handful of lines at one time and stacking them to pallets.

Let's just say that it was a good motivator to stay in school. Yeah, it was a lot of money for a manual labor summer-job, but damn it was hard-ass work! Now I sit at a desk all day and have to make extra time to exercise. :D

Hey, you could be without a job.

I myself have worked 63 straight days at 12+ a day. Not fun. I ususally do about 3.4 months worth of overtime a year!

I really don't know how our management keeps doing this to our people. Well, I know how it's happening, but the plant manager needs to lay some fists down and get rid of a lot of incompetence. It's, IMO, very avoidable, if others just knew how to plan **** and would be held accountable for their lack of doing anything right.

Overtime pay costs less than straight time so if you want to keep your budget in line its cheaper to pay OT than to hire another person.

There are no benefits added into OT pay, it is all spread over straight time. My cost of labor was $90 for straight time (pay and benefits) but my OT cost dropped to $38 for time and a half. So your incompetent boss is probably getting high marks from the plant manager, just as the plant manager is getting high marks from his superiors

My old man drug my ass into attics installing HVAC (with him) in the summer when I was 18. Told me this was my future unless I wanted to make something more of myself.
So I went to college.

Now I actually look forward to Monday's, because I work myself ragged on the weekends around my house.

28 on, 14 off on supply boats. All watches were 12 hours. When we got to a rig, it was all hands on deck. There were some crazy hours. Even when you were "off watch", you were still on the boat. It's living at work for a month at a time is what it is.

Where I work now, I do a lot of 8-10 hours with a 12 hour now and then.

At least it aint attics or roofs.

Doing 0430-1830 every day at a school for the military (started March will finish December), worst I had was being awake for 72 hours and then hitting the ground in Iraq with 2 hours sleep. Salary job too!

I had two 20 hours days last week, but it was in regards to beer dinners so I do not mind :).

I work a compressed workweek so it's always 12 hour shifts. If I don't do OT it becomes s tradeoff for 3 and 4 day alternating weekends.

4 days on 4 days off 12 hr shifts. Rotating nights and days every two weeks. The transition from nights to days so fast sucks but there are to many people that ***** about having to work straight nights so the bosses thought this would be better.

i'm a catering chef, we have a monday through friday corporate gig which is great... untill summertime when we also do weddings on the weekends. 60-80 hour weeks for me until october, yay!

I average 45to48hours a week but its a 4day work week. Im off Thursdays and weekends not a bad gig. Just crappy pay and little time off .....

Back