12% brew not carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcsewnab

Reaction score
Hey all,

My last batch was a Sam Adams Old Ale clone. It came out just under 12%. It's been bottled for about 2 months now and it's still not carbed. I have tried bottles randomly so I don't think it was my priming sugar mix. I think at this point the alcohol level might have killed off the yeast.

I decided to bottle this batch instead of keg because I planned to go through it at a much slower pace. My question is, would it be a problem if I opened all the bottles, dumped them into a cornie, and forced carbed the brew?

I'm guessing the high alcohol content would prevent any type of contamination.

The brew is coming along nice just no bubbles.

Opinions appreciated.

Any idea exactly which strain of yeast you used?

I suspect yeah the yeast is probably having a tough time fermenting with the ABV. I don't know how much it's worth to you to carb this batch in the bottle, but you may consider adding some dry yeast of a strain that can handle a nice high ABV.

Here is the recipe, I followed it exactly including the yeast.

21lb American 2 row pale malt
2 lb Munich malt
1 lb Special roast
1 lb CaraMunich
.5 lb Special B

Single infusion 148˚ for 60 minutes.

2oz Northdown (6%aa) 60 min
2oz Kent Golding (5%aa) 30 min
2oz Fuggle (4%aa) 10 min

Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale Yeast

Target OG 1.090
Target FG 1.020
ABV 9.4
IBU 74

Ferment at 65-74 (5 days) lower to 55˚ (15 days) raise to 70˚ 2 days before bottling.

I dont think temp is a problem but I guess it could be a factor. I have them stored at 68-70. I have brewed about 12 other batches that have carbed fine at this temp.

I will have a read through the other post but I really dont have any desire to try to carb the bottles at this point. I was hoping to just dump it in a keg and force carb.

Thanks for the replies.

No reason to not keg it. I'd flush the keg with CO2 and put the bottle's neck inside the keg while pouring, but it should work.

Latest posts

Back