12-12-12 Style Selection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What style of beer would you like for 12-12-12 Anniversary Brew?

• Imperial Stout (Russian/American)

• Scotch Strong Ale, Wee Heavy

• Belgian Quad

• Baltic Porter

• Barleywine

• Wheatwine

• IIPA

• Burton Ale

• Eisbock

• Rye Weizenbock

Results are only viewable after voting.
Man, I wish Adambier was on this list. By definition, this beer requires at least a year of aging. It's also a very unique style.

Thanks for posting that. Never heard of Adambier so I researched it a bit. It sounds awesome. One thing I'm confused about though is how the lacto will work in such a highly hopped beer? I'm under the impression that lacto has a low IBU threshold– far below what this style calls for.

...Maybe next year

I wish I would have seen that are seem to be only two viable choices in the poll before I voted. I would have switch from weizenbock to the wee heavy.

jmo88 said:
Thanks for posting that. Never heard of Adambier so I researched it a bit. It sounds awesome. One thing I'm confused about though is how the lacto will work in such a highly hopped beer? I'm under the impression that lacto has a low IBU threshold– far below what this style calls for.

...Maybe next year

If you ever find the "Adam" from hair of the dog, don't pass it up. Very unique and tastes great.

i'm not very clear with my posts, i guess i meant after this thread has been "completed", then if still needed, make a thread with the top few styles to make the final decision. Just my opinion, since there are so many people on either side of the current top two. We could also just make the winner regardless of how much it won by.

Of course, if king brian is correct, this conversation may be for nothing..... :drunk:

+1

Okay, so do we want to set up another poll to vote between the quad and wee heavy?

If we do make another poll I move that King Brian's suggestion get put on there also. A "wee quad" sounds pretty cool.

Strong Scotch Ale ftw. So many great recipes and I still have a bottle that is aged 2.5 years and last one I checked was still great a month ago. It is roughly 14% and oak aged.

:I figure another week or so on this survey and I'll close the voting. Then I'll put up a survey for Strong Scotch versus the Belgian Quad.

Maybe I should be biased and make it a Strong Scotch ale vs. Wee Heavy survey....:D

smokinghole said:
:I figure another week or so on this survey and I'll close the voting. Then I'll put up a survey for Strong Scotch versus the Belgian Quad.

Maybe I should be biased and make it a Strong Scotch ale vs. Wee Heavy survey....:D

I agree ;)

Homercidal said:
I suggested the American RIS... Or American Imperial Stout.

Whatever the majority wants is fine.

That would be high on my list as well. It's actually my favorite beer style.

Hard to choose.

wheat wine and rye weizenbock are really similar imo (strong wheat based beers... one is a traditional german recipe the other is a micro/homebrewed reinvention of it), perhaps they should be combined to 1 category?

*just as a disclosure i voted for rye weizenbock

Voted for a RIS.

I dont really care all that much how this vote turns out, I'll probably do a RIS. HOWEVER, I am going to read through and look for points that may just change my mind.

I went with RIS because I think it would be a good backdrop for Aztec-type spices. It would be fun to do an End of the World Ale since 12-21-12 is supposedly it. :)

This is it for me, though I think a Baltic Porter might fit somewhat easily into this as well (with some creative tinkering)

**** it, whatever the group decides. I'll brew it.

Who is keeping count at this point?

I'll brew both as well.

I say a mash up or brew both the Wee Heavy and a Quad, screw it. If the World's gonna end we might as well get pasted and enjoy the show.

This is where I'm at after reading through this thread (for the most part)

KingBrian, lead me to a recipe where the runoffs of one can lead to the other. Its up to you now.

The Man Who Would be King indeed!

This is where I'm at after reading through this thread (for the most part)

KingBrian, lead me to a recipe where the runoffs of one can lead to the other. Its up to you now.

The Man Who Would be King indeed!

It would be pretty easy to come up with a grain bill that can be taken either way. I'm thinking a golden promise base with some dark crystal and dark malts. You then add dark candi syrup to the boil if you want to make it a quad, or you do a kettle caramelization if you're going the wee heavy route. Or you can be really crazy and do the kettle caramelization but ferment with a belgian yeast to create a "wee quad" as was mentioned. If that is a route people would want to go, I can sit down and formulate the recipe. It might be a fun way to go, and allow people to kind of customize the recipe to their tastes. Should also make for a very unique swap on 12-12-12.

It would be pretty easy to come up with a grain bill that can be taken either way. I'm thinking a golden promise base with some dark crystal and dark malts. You then add dark candi syrup to the boil if you want to make it a quad, or you do a kettle caramelization if you're going the wee heavy route. Or you can be really crazy and do the kettle caramelization but ferment with a belgian yeast to create a "wee quad" as was mentioned. If that is a route people would want to go, I can sit down and formulate the recipe. It might be a fun way to go, and allow people to kind of customize the recipe to their tastes. Should also make for a very unique swap on 12-12-12.

This concept is very interesting. What if you carmalized and added candi syrup during fermentation and fermented with a belgian yeast?

that is real interesting! right now i plan on doing westy 12 and maybe belhaven wee heavy.

something like that might come up with something really interesting! fantastic idea!

I'm coming into this poll rather late and after reading through everything, ended up confused. Are we looking at doing a first runnings batch of one and then another with the second runnings now, or doing a single recipe that can be taken in either direction (e.g. scotch or quad)? Either way, I'll be looking forward to the experiment; just want to make sure I'm on the right page :mug:.

Latest posts

Back