1056 Yeast Cake. What to brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMattTrain

Reaction score
Hey folks. I have an American Ale 1056 Yeast Cake that I'm racking a Mosaic/MO SMaSH off of (6.3% ABV) off of on Sunday. I'd like to use it for another brew but I'm not sure what to make!

After doing some reading, I'd like to go for something big. Like... 10% big. However, my options seem limited. I'm looking at either a barleywine or an Imperial IPA. I was planning on going the Imperial IPA route until I realized how much the hops were going to cost. So instead, I thought maybe a Barleywine, however, there seems to be a lot involved in brewing one (the whole brewing twice thing to use just the first runnings thing).

Any thoughts on what I should brew? I'm not a big fan of roasty or sour beers, but pretty much anything else I'm down with.

Lots of choices here - https://www.wyeastlab.com/rw_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=5

American Amber Ale
American Barleywine
American Brown Ale
American IPA
American Pale Ale
American Stout
Braggot
Brown Porter
Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer
Cream Ale
Dry Stout
Fruit Beer
Imperial IPA
Irish Red Ale
Other Smoked Beer
Russian Imperial Stout
Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
Strong Scotch Ale
Wood-Aged Beer

Big barleywine. Appears you already have a IIPA on tap if your sig is up to date.

You could always supplement your all grain with some extract to up your OG and avoid the 'brewing twice' that you mentioned.

mtnagel - Those are the options I looked at too. I think the only ones realistic for what I've got would be an RIS, IIPA, or Barleywine. I was wondering if anyone has used this yeast for any style not on that list.

kpr121 - My tap list is up to date, however I think that IIPA is about to kick. I might have one one or two more pulls left in it, but it's low. It was a good one and went fast! I'm trying to stay away from adding extract if I can.

I'm even considering going off-style for the first time and just making something up... or trying for the barleywine and just boiling super long to get my gravity down. I have a 10 gallon mash tun, so I should be able to get a decent SG.

Latest posts

Back