100% pear juice fermenting like crazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontyKi

Reaction score
I've got two experimental batches going...

1 is 2 Gal pure Knudsen's pear juice fermenting for 3 days now. It's bubbling lots.

The other is 2 gal consisting of: 1/3 pear, 2/3 apple.

Both the pear and the apple juices measured 1.05 for SG prior to adding sugar, coincidence? I think so.

Both batches' SG measured 1.08 after the addition of sugar and prior to fermentation. I understand that 1.08 is high SG...I mistakenly put more primer suger than planned, 1 lb / gal. :-/

I used the same quantity of Montrachet wine yeast in both batches.

Any ideas why the 100% pear batch is bubbling at 60% higher rate than the apple/pear batch?

Will I regret a 100% pear batch? I now understand that it is more typical to add pear later and that it has some unfermentable sugars that can make the taste remain sweet, even if the goal is relatively high ABV, which mine is.

Is sorbitol going to give me a headache?

My goal is sparkling apple and/or pear wine.

Thanks and forgive my ignorance, I'm just having fun winging some of this,

Monty

I have a gallon of just Pear going right now and its pretty good,i snuck a sample last night,lol. I think you will be happy with it once its done,as to why ones bubbling more than the other i don't know.

Any ideas why the 100% pear batch is bubbling at 60% higher rate than the apple/pear batch?

Apples tend to have a higher acidity than pears which are sweeter. Do an Internet search on the acid content in fruit and you find several articles that state apples are considered 'acid fruits' and pears are considered 'sweet fruits'. Therefore, possibly, the acid in the 2/3 apple batch is holding back the fermentation, where the 100% pear batch being lower acidity, ferments faster.**

Back