100% Carapils brew???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conno

Reaction score
Terry Foster in his book on Pale Ales says that Carapils can be used as a substitute for amber malt. I'm currently trying to use up all my current stock of grain so I found a 100% amber malt Pale Ale recipe from the Durden Park Beer Circle.
Will I need an enzyme? I have full temp control during the mash if that has any relevance.

Wouldnt that beer turn out really sweet? I've never used large quantities of it, but thats my speculation.

Carapils is a crystal malt, so you wouldn't get fermentable sugars (or at least not many) from it. Amber malt is not a crystal malt, but I've subbed crystal for it when I didn't have any- it's not even really a good sub though. My IPA recipe calls for 8 ounces of amber malt, so I used the crystal instead.

I mistakenly made a batch with 7 pounds of carapils this weekend.
I didnt realize what carapils was untill today...
The recipe was 7lbs of carapils, 1 lb vienna, and .5 lb wheat.

Its foaming up in the fermenter now.
will this beer be drinkable?

The recipe was 7lbs of carapils, 1 lb vienna, and .5 lb wheat.

Interesting. Can't say I've ever seen a grainbill remotely like that before. Post back when it finishes. I'm curious to see what it would be like.

And carapils as a sub for amber malt? I don't see it. Which page in which edition does he state that?

what was your OG by chance? Don't dump it out, you might have something special going on. Just sayin' :ban:

Back