100% brett ipa, anyone??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
hi, im planing on brewing a 100% bret ipa with only mosaic and citra.
which kind on brett did you use?
malt bill??
please comment if the results were good or bad?

thank you very much.

I made a 100% brett one using YB amalgamation which turned out very well. Brought it to the local brewery and convinced them to collaborate with me. Its so so so fruity, but no sweet aftertaste. It confuses people when they try it. Its like drinking one of those fruit salad cups as a kid, but no sweetness lingers on the tongue
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=539881
also made a 100% black brett IPA that is very different. Still dont know hwat to make of it

thank you for your anwser. did you ever try brett from wyeast? i dont have acsses to yeast bay here in vancouver i think.

what is the temperature for fermentation?
did you use an extra yeast along with brett?

ive never used it, but every time ive used brett its been a blend. I read somewhere that blends are usually best since a single strain can be a bit 1-dimensional. Hops can fix that though

Ive fermented my brett IPAs at room temp with no temperature regulation. They can easily get into the 80s without any off flavors. I would definifelty let it free rise to get the most fruity flavors from it.

Ive done 3 all-brett IPAs so far that each fermented for 3 weeks. They wre done at 2, but I was still a bit paranoid it would keep attenuatiing like it does in a mixed fermentation

ive got 4 brett-spiked beers and they were bottled a bit after 2 months. 3 of them were mixed with saison yeast and 1 ive got going now is a brett-wit. If you do a mixed fermentation, id recommend pitching both brett and sacch at the start for faster flavor development

Is the yeast flavor overpowering like most belgian yeasts? Im trying to think about my hop bill now.

I think Brett is less assertive than some Belgian strains when used as a single yeast.

I've used both Brett-B and Brett-C and like both. Both like to be fermented high, and you will be rewarded. To get any flavor from Brett-C you need to ferment it above 85 F; at lower temps it ferments clean like 1056.

I've not used it, but it seems Brett Trois produces some excellent beers ........ and it is not even Brett.

I am culturing some dregs from orvall beer, its got some kind of brett whixh im not sure which is it. The beer itself is delicious.

I love a good hoppy beer that has piney resin and notes with a solid backdrop of horse ball sweat and sour leathery ass. Do share the recipe.

Back