100% Brett Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffey

Reaction score
Looking for some help/suggestions for a grain bill. Planning on brewing a 100% Brett brown ale, I guess the inspiration being Surly Pentagram.

Any suggestions on grain bill here? Also wondering what the best temp to mash at would be for an all Brett beer?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm wondering if the Barclay Perkins 1804 recipe might be suitable - just over 50% brown malt, I know I said it lacked the sweetness to back up the chocolate with my last yeast but I've also been musing overnight on the idea of pitching something that kicks out a bit of acid and esters, if it attenuates ok I think it would provide a good background for the bret flavours.

I found this recipe on BrewToad.
Briess Pale Ale Malt 11.5 lb 86 %
Belgian Crystal 8L 1.0 lb 7 %
Bairds Chocolate Malt 0.37 lb 2 %
Dark Munich 0.37 lb 2 %

Columbus (US) 0.33 * oz 60 *min

Brett Brux for pitching bacteria.

As for mashing I would go with a slightly higher temp as it will leave more dextrin in the wort for the Brett to eat.

really any brown ale recipe you like should work fine. I think something like Maduro oatmeal brown would be a good one, so like 1# oatmeal, 0.5# chocolate, and pale & crystal to your desire. mash it like you would any normal beer.

which brett are you thinking? I havent done lambicus, but i'd say that or brux are probably best choices

Brett Brux for pitching bacteria.

As for mashing I would go with a slightly higher temp as it will leave more dextrin in the wort for the Brett to eat.

brett is not bacteria, its yeast and you do not mash to leave extra dextrins on 100% brett fermentation. brett primary is very different than secondary, it does not super-attenuate and does not make the funky flavors its known for. its much cleaner and very much like sacch. even as secondary mashing higher is not a necessity as much of the brett character comes from conversion of the primary strains esters/phenols rather than consuming sugar.

Are there any good Brett resources out there? Seems like someone should write a book about Brett.

Here's what I ended up doing: 46% Belgian Pale Malt, 46% dark Munich Malt, 4% chocolate malt and 4% special B. I threw in an ounce do strissispalt at 60 min for 14 IBUs. And then hit It with about 20 seconds do pure oxygen before pitching a tube of Brett brux trios. Will see how it turns out!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Are there any good Brett resources out there? Seems like someone should write a book about Brett.

And another one.

http://www.themadfermentationist.com/p/brewing-articles.html

The guy that runs this blog recently published a book on brewing sours, and is currently involved in a new(ish) San Diego brewery named Modern Times. His blog is full of recipes, observations and tasting notes on brewing sours on a homebrew level.

Here's what I ended up doing: 46% Belgian Pale Malt, 46% dark Munich Malt, 4% chocolate malt and 4% special B. I threw in an ounce do strissispalt at 60 min for 14 IBUs. And then hit It with about 20 seconds do pure oxygen before pitching a tube of Brett brux trios. Will see how it turns out!

you massively underpitched if that was a 5gallon batch. 100% brett beers are typically pitched around lager rates, theres only like 3bil cells in a tube. sounds tasty otherwise

you massively underpitched if that was a 5gallon batch. 100% brett beers are typically pitched around lager rates, theres only like 3bil cells in a tube. sounds tasty otherwise

This is the kind of info I wish was more readily available. I assumed that only very little Brett was needed since so very little comes in a standard tube compared to other "standard" yeast strains. I'll need to dig into some of the above resources and see what info I can find.

This is the kind of info I wish was more readily available. I assumed that only very little Brett was needed since so very little comes in a standard tube compared to other "standard" yeast strains. I'll need to dig into some of the above resources and see what info I can find.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=100%+brett#

its very available, you just have to actually search for it. there's a massive thread just on brett trois here

Thanks for that link!

Interestingly enough I picked back up my Yeast book and turned to the chapter on Brett. In there they say to under pitch Brett compared to ale yeasts.

I don't have the book in front of me, but im pretty sure that's referring to secondary, not primary use

For anyone interested, here is an update on this batch:

My one vial of Brett Brux Trois slowly but steadily fermented my batch and I've been at 1.012 for a week now. I've built up another pitch of the same brett yeast on a stir plate and am contemplating pitching that as a "secondary". Taste-wise so far it is very similar to a dark brown ale or porter. Interested how this changes with age.

Also, I did find a great book on sour/brett beers by the guy who writes themadfermentationist blog, "American Sour Beers". That was the printed resource I was really looking for.

Back