10 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marrty24

Reaction score
I'm trying to upgrade my system from 5 gallon batches to 10 gallon batches, and I'm curious as to what everyone uses for a fermenter for 10 gallons. I guess I could split the batch in two buckets or figure out how to convert a keg. Thoughts?

Two separate boils (different hops schedules), two carboys, two yeasts, two totally different beers from the same base wort! No need for new immersion cooler or larger pot...

I use a vittles vault with a spigot installed on the side for draining and a blowoff tube grommeted into the lid. It will hold up to 14 gallons and it cost me $60 for everything (vault, spigot and rubber grommet)

I have two antique ten gallon corny kegs. Haven't fermented in them yet because they need some new fittings. But I plan on putting 7-8 gallons into one of them and the rest into a 5 gallon corny.

I use two buckets since I doubt I could lift a fermenter with 10 gallons in it even if my life depended on it, and I don't have a conical.

I don't want a conical, really, since I don't have a cold room to keep it in. So, two buckets/two carboys is all I use.

I use 1 6.5G carboy plus a 6.5G bucket... I like to avoid having 2 glass carboys side by side in my fermentation chest freezer for fear of clanging them together and losing the batch.

that vittles vault sounds interesting though I don't think I want to be lifting 10G into and out of my chest freezer without some kind of a wench... or dragging it up my stairs (things go where they fit) using 2 separate containers makes my setup work well for me... and lets me tweak each half differently like using different yeast or having sugar/fruit additions in one etc.. I like variety.. 2 beers - 1 boil

Sankey kegs are awesome fermenters. Even though I have a 1/2bl sanke for fermenting, I still usually split my batches for two reasons. One is that 5 gal of liquid is much easier to manipulate than 10. The second is that I really enjoy comparing different yeasts, dry hopping techniques, etc. head to head.

I use two buckets too but lately I've been thinking if I should be filling one and then the other or bouncing back and forth. I was wondering if the extra few minutes the second bucket had on the hops would matter. (I CFC in ~20 minutes) Maybe one day I'll do a side by side blind test but usually I don't put 2 of the same keg on tap.

Depends on what I'm doing and where I have room. I have a plastic conical, a brewhemoth, and several buckets.:drunk:

The only difference in my system for 10gal is a 1/2bbl that I boil in. Still the same cheap ass, labor intensive setup. I typically ferment in 2 buckets. I occasionally ferment in a 1/2bbl with stem removed.

I have a 15.5 gallon keg like others. But most of the time I split it into two buckets and pitch 2 different yeasts. It gives me two different beers to play with. It’s amazing the difference in my beers by doing this.
Cheers
Jay

I have two 13 gallon food grade plastic barrels that I added drum Tap Spigots to and drilled a hole in the lid and added a grommet for the air lock.

When I first went to 10 gallons I used 2 buckets. Now I use one of these. Vittle Vault
It is 13.0 gal and is air tight. I am working on putting bulkhead fittings in it so I can transfer with CO2 to my keg.

How do you like the vittles vault compared to two buckets? I have been using two buckets, but I have a strong desire to move to one fermentation vessel, and this seems like a pretty good solution.

How do you like the vittles vault compared to two buckets? I have been using two buckets, but I have a strong desire to move to one fermentation vessel, and this seems like a pretty good solution.

I used to use two buckets as well. I like it and I actually bought a second one. Just waiting to see how the CO2 transfer works before buying the necessary parts for the second one. First CO2 transfer will get tested tomorrow when I move Kolsch to the kegs.

I did move my fermentation to my garage where I brew as carrying 11 gal of wort downstairs isn't any fun. I have a two wheel dolly that I put it on to wheel it to my fermentation fridge. I made a sling for it so its easier to lift. I only have to lift it 6 inches or so to get it into my fermentation fridge.

You can buy replacement lids if needed from the manufacture. I messed one up modifying my for CO2 transfer. I think they are $12 or 15 each for new lid.

I used to use two buckets as well. I like it and I actually bought a second one. Just waiting to see how the CO2 transfer works before buying the necessary parts for the second one. First CO2 transfer will get tested tomorrow when I move Kolsch to the kegs.

I did move my fermentation to my garage where I brew as carrying 11 gal of wort downstairs isn't any fun. I have a two wheel dolly that I put it on to wheel it to my fermentation fridge. I made a sling for it so its easier to lift. I only have to lift it 6 inches or so to get it into my fermentation fridge.

You can buy replacement lids if needed from the manufacture. I messed one up modifying my for CO2 transfer. I think they are $12 or 15 each for new lid.

Well, keep me updated on the co2 transfer, that sounds like a great idea.

Is $36.33 on amazon a pretty good price?

I like using 2 buckets, they are easier to move and handle vs anything with 10gallons in it, plus they make it easy to do fun side by side experiments like 2 different yeasts, different dry hopping, oak aging. Not to mention buying 2 of them are still much cheaper than most single vessel options.

I just did 10 gallons of Imperial Stout recently and I'm going to bottle the first 5 gallons straight up and the second 5 gallons is spending an extra month ageing with Ancho Peppers and Cocoa Nibs.

Well, keep me updated on the co2 transfer, that sounds like a great idea.

Is $36.33 on amazon a pretty good price?

Looks like a good price to me. I bought mine at a pet supplies store and I think it was $46.99 for the 50-55 lbs one. I will let you know how the CO2 transfer worked out.

I also use the 50lb Vittle Vaults. So far they have worked great. I put them in a 20 gallon rubbermaid bucket during fermentation to keep the temps in check. Now that the freezer's rewired though I am going to be putting them in their.

I'd also like to hear about the CO2 setup or a a thermowell for these to keep better tabs on the temps.

I did my first CO2 transfered my updated vittle vault last night. Everything worked great. I might have to cut a little bit more off the bottom of my dip tube so it doesn't suck up as much yeast/trub. you can see my setup in the following post Vittle Vault Upgrade

I use two 6.5 gallon Better Bottles for each 10 gallon batch. Like Yooper, I could never move them if the whole batch was in one container.

I like the VittleVault... and will be investing in some of those once I make the move to 10 gallons.

So whatever you guys do, PLEASE don't tell anyone we're using them for HBing or they'll jack the prices up. :)

Back