1 pack or 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PLAY_DEAD

Reaction score
Brewing a zombie dust clone and OG is 1.065. Should I use one packet or 2 packets of rehydrate us-05?

Yeah, 5 gallon. Fine with one? Or two? I figured with how clean this yeast ferments, it wouldn't hurt to use both.

Whoops. You didnt get what I meant by saying you should be fine and not directly answering your question? Hahaha, 1 should be fine. And you could use both, but why waste a packet of yeast and $$ when 1 will do just fine. Just my 2 cents though

Whoops. You didnt get what I meant by saying you should be fine and not directly answering your question? Hahaha, 1 should be fine. And you could use both, but why waste a packet of yeast and $$ when 1 will do just fine. Just my 2 cents though

Cool, thanks! I'm always spooked about under pitching with dry yeast. But I've also read where there are double the number of viable cells in a dry packet as there are in a tube or pack of liquid yeast (pre starter) . Any truth to that?

Cool, thanks! I'm always spooked about under pitching with dry yeast. But I've also read where there are double the number of viable cells in a dry packet as there are in a tube or pack of liquid yeast (pre starter) . Any truth to that?

I cant speak as to the number of cells in one vs the other for certain, but I do believe I have heard the same thing. Mrmalty has a dry yeast and liquid yeast calculator that you may check out.

I meant to say why is that lol

Well then in that case... Preference haha.

I cant speak for mildoggy, but s-04 doesnt attenuate as well so could leave some residual sweetness, but it flocculates much better. Us-05 is higher attenuating so will dry out your beer a little more. Basically choose what you're looking for in the final product

Well then in that case... Preference haha.

I cant speak for mildoggy, but s-04 doesnt attenuate as well so could leave some residual sweetness, but it flocculates much better. Us-05 is higher attenuating so will dry out your beer a little more. Basically choose what you're looking for in the final product

Good explanation, thanks. I'm adding some corn sugar to up the abv some, so I'm going to go with us-05 to get full attenuation. I may use 04 when not wanting to dry out as in a stout.

I just Brewers this in a 3 gallon batch with 1 package of us-05. Smells good but still in the fermenter.

I just Brewers this in a 3 gallon batch with 1 package of us-05. Smells good but still in the fermenter.

My 5 gallon batch has been in the fermenter a little over a week. Still a little activity going on. I'm usually good for leaving my beers in the fermenter for a good 2 - 3 weeks. Not sure if I'm going to dry hop in primary or move to secondary yet.

I am attempting my first dry hop tomorrow but I a, concerned about small specs on the beer. It looks like yeast. I'm not sure if the yeast is fermenting properly and I gave the vessel a shake today which helped but not completely. I hope everything works out for you.

I am attempting my first dry hop tomorrow but I a, concerned about small specs on the beer. It looks like yeast. I'm not sure if the yeast is fermenting properly and I gave the vessel a shake today which helped but not completely. I hope everything works out for you.

Why did you shake the fermenter? Only time that should be done is just before pitching the yeast to oxygenate the wort. A good cold crash will really clear your beer up. If that doesn't, you can always use gelatin finings. Or use Irish Moss at 15 mins before flame out next time.

Well out of desperation I was hoping it may mix some of the yeast on top into the beer. But I am now reading that not all the yeast will "mix", for lack of a better term.

To finish my thought. Does the yeast fully dissolve into the liquid?

To finish my thought. Does the yeast fully dissolve into the liquid?

It does not. Cold crashing will do a good job at dropping a good bit of it out of your beer, but will leave enough suspended to Carbonate if you plant to bote it. Is this your first batch? If so, worry not, you will learn more and more with each brew. That's the beauty of this hobby! Sit back, pour a pint, and enjoy!

This is my second. The first I had no problem with but since switching from 5 gallon the first time to 3 gallons this time I have made my self nervouse that something will go wrong.

This is my second. The first I had no problem with but since switching from 5 gallon the first time to 3 gallons this time I have made my self nervouse that something will go wrong.

The best thing I've ever heard about home brewing is that no matter how bad you "mess up," in the end, you still have beer!

Latest posts

Back