1 Liter Starter with 6 oz slurry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckybeagle

Making sales and brewing ales.
Reaction score
I had about 12 oz of WY1007 German Ale yeast slurry (unwashed, but with low trub visible) in my fridge for 3 months and want to use it in my next brew. I know some calculators say its viability is anywhere from 10 - 50% so I made a standard 1 liter starter and pitched roughly 6 ounces into it. It's been on a stir plate for 12 hours and has a huge amount of krausen.

My question is, once the krausen subsides and I crash/decant (or just pitch the whole liter) can I reasonably expect this will be sufficient to innoculate a 5 gallon batch of OG 1.044?

Thanks! I've never had this much krausen in a starter. Theoretically, 1 liter of slurry has a maximum density of yeast cells, right? In other words, if the maximum density is x, and the OG calls for x, it would never be an overpitch? I'm not so concerned about an underpitch given the age of the yeast and low OG, but I am curious if a hyperdense starter (and an overpitch) is possible?

Back