1 gallon DME recipe to test out a wild yeast strain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I normally do all grain brews but use DME for starters. I've only done one all extract batch which seemed to turn out pretty well.

A few weeks ago I set out to capture some wild yeast from flowers local to me. I ended up with one good candidate that I've stepped up a few times and feel is ready for a 1 gallon test batch. I got feedback from a pro brewer who recommended making a 1.040 wort with 50% pils and 50% wheat. I don't have any grain on me but have those types of DME.

I want those with more experience to look over my extract recipe and let me know if it looks good or if something should change.

I was planning on using 190g of pilsen DME and 190g of bavarian wheat DME with 1 gallon + extra for boil off. I'm going to do a 30 minute boil with a very light hit of hops for some slight bittering.

I'll cool and rack to a sanitized 1 gallon carboy where i'll pitch a decanted starter of the wild yeast.

Does this sound OK? I got the DME amounts based on using the 100mL water to 10g DME ratio I use when making starters. I've read that gives a wort around 1.040.

If anyone's interested, i have the whole yeast capturing process here: http://www.tandemtails.com/wild-yeast-capture/

That looks good to me. Am interested on how it turns out - let us know! Are you expecting a barnyard or funky sort of sour, or a more clean sour? Interesting way to get actual terroir into your brewing, very cool.

That looks good to me. Am interested on how it turns out - let us know! Are you expecting a barnyard or funky sort of sour, or a more clean sour? Interesting way to get actual terroir into your brewing, very cool.

Each step-up (175mL -> 500mL -> 900mL) smelled very fruity and with some ever so slight peppery notes. I wasn't getting any funk at all with it so I'm hoping for more of a clean beer with this yeast.

That being said, I also have some sort of pellicle forming strain from a different flower that's currently sitting in the 500mL jar. It smells very tart and clean. I'm going to brew a separate batch for that one where i'll do a mixed fermentation with that wild souring bacteria plus either a brewers yeast or the wild yeast that I'm making a 1 gallon test batch of (assuming the beer turns out good).

Just brewed the beer today. Ended up nearly hitting my target OG of 1.040 (got 1.039 actual). With the extremely high ground water temps this time of year I chilled it to 85 and am finishing it off in the fermentation chamber.

I plan on pitching the yeast in the mid 70's and then fermenting at 70'f for 2 weeks.

Curious if you have an update on this?
I’ve got a wild yeast fermentation going too, but I had an old 1 gallon german blonde kit from NB that I used. I’d like to hear how this turns out because I’ll probably want to make a few more batches trying different temps and I’m hoping to isolate a few more strains from various flowers/fruits we have growing here.

Curious if you have an update on this?
I’ve got a wild yeast fermentation going too, but I had an old 1 gallon german blonde kit from NB that I used. I’d like to hear how this turns out because I’ll probably want to make a few more batches trying different temps and I’m hoping to isolate a few more strains from various flowers/fruits we have growing here.

Unfortunately I think I got some cross contamination with a saison yeast in during a gravity reading. I had checked the gravity of the wild yeast after checking the gravity of one of my saisons. I thought i had properly sanitized everything in between but obviously not. I gave it a sample a few weeks ago and it's 100% saison.

I'll probably just dry hop it and then bottle it. It tasted really good with the saison yeast haha.

Back