1-Gallon Cider Recipe Testers for Upcoming Book?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaC

Reaction score
Hi, everyone! I'm working on a book of homebrewing projects due out next spring and am looking for a few brave souls willing to test cider recipes. They're one-gallon batches, and actually run the gamut from ciders and perries to hard lemonade and ginger beer (it's a loosely defined section in the book!). The only special equipment you might need is a 2-gallon bucket for primary fermentation and a 1-gallon (or 4-liter) jug for the secondary -- all the other equipment is the same no matter what size batch you normally brew.

In exchange for your help, your name will be memorialized for eternity in the acknowledgements of the book (oh, the glory!), and I'll send you a free copy of the book.

I'm hoping to get feedback on the recipes through at least primary fermentation by the beginning of July. If you're interested, please send me a private message with your email address and we can get the party started.

Thanks!

Hey Emma, I live in Santa Cruz and could do some testing. Unfortunately the best time to do this would be the fall when the apples are ripe and ready and available from the source.

I'm in as long as I don't need to press. Where can I get a 2 gal. Bucket?

I'm all set with recipe testers now. Thanks for such an awesome response!

BoomerCreek - you're totally right. I made cider from fresh-pressed apples from Sebastopol last fall, and it was AMAZING.

MarkKF - Sorry not to reply sooner! You wouldn't need to press; for these recipes, store-bought (or farm bought!) ciders and juice is fine. You can get two-gallon buckets at Home Depot, though you have to drill your own airlock hole in the lid. Northern Brewer carries pre-drilled and grommeted 2-gal buckets. I may be doing a second round of testing in a few months -- I'll keep you posted!

Go buy a 2 gallon glass Carboy of water (my local health food store has them). That would work if you can find them in your area.

Latest posts

Back