1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anybody doing any dry hopping... do you put the hops in something, like a bag or cheesecloth, in secondary?

I dry hopped a batch, and i just bottled it. I lost too much beer getting around the sediment, and junk left in the bottom of the carboy.

and, at least so far, the beer tastes pretty good so i will probably want to do that again.

Brewed my one gallon American wheat from nb last night. Had a slight accident, was my first with dme and it foamed up and out when I added it while it was boiling... I added it slow and stirred it a lot. This normal or did I do something off?

Keep a close hand on your stove top dial. When mine starts to foam I'll cut it back to about half or lower until the foam subsides, then gently increase back to a rolling boil, which is at about 60% of the dial. Also, spraying water on it with squirt bottle will knock back the foam too.

That because small batch guys dont have to spend 8 hours brewing a batch, find storage for bulky equipment, have a nice varied pipline,or hav to deal with bottling 2 + cases in a run.

Makes life easier. I'm never planning on going back to 5 gal unless its for a batch of gift wines or something.

Cheers to that! I went back to a 10 gallon batch for an event I was doing and it was a huge pain! I even ended up pulling a back muscle!

anybody doing any dry hopping... do you put the hops in something, like a bag or cheesecloth, in secondary?

I dry hopped a batch, and i just bottled it. I lost too much beer getting around the sediment, and junk left in the bottom of the carboy.

and, at least so far, the beer tastes pretty good so i will probably want to do that again.

I just add the hops directly to the fermentor. One thing you can do to reduce sediment and dry hop material is gently pour your brew through a mesh bag and into a bottling bucket or pot (like a paint straining bag you would get from Lowe's or Home Depot). Just make sure it is sanitized. The fine mesh acts as a pretty good filter. Works like a charm for me. Cheers!

dadshomebrewing said:

I buy the disposable hop tube thingies at morebeer. It's like 12" long and is sewn shut on one side. I cut them in half and tie one end in a knot and use a small tie strap on the other side. Then, when bottling, just grab it and remove it. Works great!

gwdraper4 said:
Cheers to that! I went back to a 10 gallon batch for an event I was doing and it was a huge pain! I even ended up pulling a back muscle!

That's frigging funny ( not you pulling a muscle though!) I did my first 5 gallon batch in a while a couple weeks ago and it felt like an all dayer... Lol I ended up getting hurt too.. But mine was really dumb...I thought my spare bucket was empty and it was my starsan bucket and almost ripped my shoulder off...lol

I normally just throw them in. You could also use a muslin bag.

And for boilovers get some fermcap. It will stop that problem. I just add a drop or 2 when it starts to foam.

Last night I tried my last 5 gallon all grain batch. It was in the keg Since Monday so it.was pretty flat but it was amazing. It's a basic pale ale recipe. I'll post it up when I resize it

Does anyone have a link for the small batch episode on Basic Brewing ?

Does anyone have a link to a cool highly automated all grain small batch system ?

Thanks

Does anyone have a link for the small batch episode on Basic Brewing ?

Does anyone have a link to a cool highly automated all grain small batch system ?

Thanks

All of the videos are archived on basicbrewing.com I think the episode was called six pack ipa and it was in the first year.

They actually did few small (tiny-as they're calling it)) batch videos, as far as I remember. Just dump 'basic brewing small batch' at google, first page with results will have what you need.

Searching the archives of the radio casts here, http://www.basicbrewing.com/index.php?page=basic-brewing-radio-2010, for the various years, turns up the following hits"

"small batch", none.
gallon, none
small

September 9, 2010 - Nano Brewing in Mississippi
James talks with John Neal and Sam Sorrells from the Keg and Barrel in Hattiesburg, Mississippi. They're carving a foothold for good beer on a small scale.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr09-09-10msnano.mp3

December 31, 2009 - Holiday Barleywine Vertical
James and Steve end out the year with a little vertical tasting of small-batch holiday barleywines from the past couple of years.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-31-09holiday.mp3

September 7, 2006 - Single-Hop Small Batch Experiment
Andy Sparks and Steve Wilkes join James to taste the results of homebrewer Michael Tonsmeire's single-hop small batch experiment. Five American hops are put to the test.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr09-07-06.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Well some one asked about beersmith cloud and i took the plunge...not a fan of the way it converts it for the recipes website but here you go a look at some of the recipes.

:mug:<--------Click on the smilies

cheesecake said:
Well some one asked about beersmith cloud and i took the plunge...not a fan of the way it converts it for the recipes website but here you go a look at some of the recipes.

:mug:<--------Click on the smilies

I agree that the way it displays on the website is a little weird but since I'm a Beersmith user too, I can hit download and then import it into BS. It's pretty slick. The one thing I don't like about the cloud is the 10 recipe limit. I wish you could upgrade in like a pack of 10 recipes for a one time fee or a more reasonable annual fee.

Another way I just thought of is sending a link of a Beersmith file from my Dropbox. I'll put one together and generate a link

I want to test a bunch of recipes, so small batches seem like the way to go.

I can't stand bottling. Are there any small vessels that I could keg and force carbonate with ? Micro kegs, maybe something commercial beer is sold to consumers in ? I'd need something that could handle 30 PSI.

How about these 5L mini kegs ?
http://aleheads.com/2010/07/14/newcastle-brown-ale-draught-keg/

Look at these things !
http://www.huber-packaging.com/en/beverage/draftking.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwVANzSc3us

I was unimpressed with the kegs in the video, until I saw the 16oz CO2 canister that fits inside. Pretty Cool!

Heating up my mash water....brewing a RIS......

broke the bolt for my drill attachment on my corona mill so I had to hand mill it. Man I like being lazy. I'm putting a new grain mill on my Christmas list.

divrguy said:
I agree that the way it displays on the website is a little weird but since I'm a Beersmith user too, I can hit download and then import it into BS. It's pretty slick. The one thing I don't like about the cloud is the 10 recipe limit. I wish you could upgrade in like a pack of 10 recipes for a one time fee or a more reasonable annual fee.

Another way I just thought of is sending a link of a Beersmith file from my Dropbox. I'll put one together and generate a link

That should work. And I already paid the upgrade fee to the 75 recipes

dudes (and dudettes)

Happy Thanksgiving...

Turkey on the grill, all the trimmings, football, and even pumpkin pie for breakfast.

The beverages of the day are an American Pale Ale, A wheat beer, and possibly a Pilsner

I will be sure to raise a glass of homebrew to all here.

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving to you guys down there! Enjoy the day off and brew if you can!

Here's an example of a Canadian Thanksgiving you might enjoy....

hey, any excuse for a day off work, lots of really good food, a few home brews with my sons, and football all day on TV works

doesn't actually matter what country, does it?

Its true, days off work breakdown all barriers; cultural, geographical, racial, its all good when nobody has to work!

just started the boil....ran some errands while mashing and now im back at it. double brew day wont happen today but ill brew tomorrow and saturday. tomorrow will be centennial blonde or a barleywine. whichever one i don't do ill do another day.

bulk hops order will be here tomorrow, temp controller should be here tomorrow rest of the bulk grains should be here saturday.....

thanks, will add to the input queue.

mine are still mostly "SMaSH" inventions based on whatever i have on hand, and whatever i feel like brewing, or whatever technique i feel like trying, at any point in time.

i'm still learning how changing different things creates different results, etc.

thanks, will add to the input queue.

mine are still mostly "SMaSH" inventions based on whatever i have on hand, and whatever i feel like brewing, or whatever technique i feel like trying, at any point in time.

i'm still learning how changing different things creates different results, etc.

thats what im brewing alot of also. Im trying to get some beers ready to give away for christmas and after. I have 3 people i give beer to every holiday. so these big beers im brewing they will get after but anything else they will get for the holiday. Im still trying to learn the equipment im using and my problem right now is trying to figure out volumes of liquid on the smaller scale. Now that i snapped the bolt for my corona mill that i just started using i may have to learn a new mill because im not going to risk breaking bolts because my makita drill is to powerful

i've figured out the boil off rate for my pots, and just how much liquid i can put in one without boiling over, and what setting on the stove gets me to the "correct" boil, and things like "how long on a setting of 6 does it take for my water to get to 165".

and i'm well on the way to learning the effects (and tastes) of adding DME at different times in the boil, in terms of color and flavors.

next up, learning about adding steeping grains, keeping the extract and yeasts relatively constant

I still haven't done that. I have all the large scale stuff down.

I'm having issues hitting my pre boil gravity. Which throws everything off

i haven't even measured pre-boil gravity most times recently, only OG, FG, and maybe one, or two, intermediate readings... i was measuring pre-boil gravity with AG beers, but right now i'm sticking to extract brew, so it doesn't make much sense to worry about it.

and, strangely i've been hitting both the target OG and FG right on the numbers

poured some of my cider on top of a holiday spice tea, and stuffed my self silly.. im gonna take a nap so much for todays braggot, happy turkey day y'all

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I have to work tomorrow but I'm putting a list together of grains, hops and yeasts I'm planning to get at the LHBS for future brews. My son has 'discovered' stouts so we planning some different things like a sweeter stout with a hint of cinnamon. Should be interesting.

Latest posts

Back