1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. They are drilled with grommets
2. They used to have them for fruit wine like cheesecake said, but they got rid of them and I convinced them to bring a few back, I have bought 3 now and a coworker has bought 2 so they will probably keep them in stock.
3. I would be in for a brew day, if the work schedule allows. Usually off wed and thursday right now, but with enough notice I could get a different day off.

I'm brewing a trial SMaSH right now. I had some left over 2-row and German Hallertau hops. I got to use my corona mill to crush the 2# of grain. It took me about 15 minutes to hand crank it. I'm glad it was only 2# of grain.

Hit my mash temperature of 155 and placed in the 170 degree oven. I checked the mash after about 20 minutes and it stayed at temperature. I keep the oven on for the remainder of the mash and the oven didn't really move the temp up...YEAH.

Waiting to add the first hops...

^^^

Sorry to get back to you late. No need to skip aroma addition with Simcoe hops, but some people have reported a smell similar to cat urine with it. I don't have a cat, and have never smelt cat pee, so I can't say for sure. The mid to high aa% of simcoe makes it nice for bittering and then I add it a little at the end of the boil.

^^^

Sorry to get back to you late. No need to skip aroma addition with Simcoe hops, but some people have reported a smell similar to cat urine with it. I don't have a cat, and have never smelt cat pee, so I can't say for sure. The mid to high aa% of simcoe makes it nice for bittering and then I add it a little at the end of the boil.

No worries...I wasn't planning to brew it tonight and besides my LHBS was sold out of Simcoe:(

I went with Galaxy, Warrior, Citra, Centennial and Cascade. I planning on staying away from Cascade but it is my favorite hop:mug:

I also picked 2-row, 6-row, Vienna and Munich as my base malts.

Can't wait to brew these beer up:ban::ban:

I'm brewing a trial SMaSH right now. I had some left over 2-row and German Hallertau hops. I got to use my corona mill to crush the 2# of grain. It took me about 15 minutes to hand crank it. I'm glad it was only 2# of grain.

Hit my mash temperature of 155 and placed in the 170 degree oven. I checked the mash after about 20 minutes and it stayed at temperature. I keep the oven on for the remainder of the mash and the oven didn't really move the temp up...YEAH.

Waiting to add the first hops...

Got-er-done

img_20121123_215827-57355.jpg

What size do most of you one gallon guys primary in? Wondering how many gallons I could ferment in my 5 gallon better bottle... Thinking 3 would probably work?

Edit:with a blow off, just in case, not an airlock...

What size do most of you one gallon guys primary in? Wondering how many gallons I could ferment in my 5 gallon better bottle... Thinking 3 would probably work?

Edit:with a blow off, just in case, not an airlock...

I've been using 1 gallon glass jugs and 2-gallons buckets...

5-gallon better bottle: 3 gallons easy....probably 4 with a blow-off tube set-up

I have a citra smash and galaxy smash going . How high did you take the ibu's up? and what times did you do hop additions

Anyone interested, I'm brewing a five liter (1.33 gal) batch of a cream ale/light hybrid/BMC clone tomorrow. Going to take tons of photos as I'm starting up a blog for our type of people.

Going to be 2 LBs of Pale Malt and 0.5 LBs of corn in 65% efficiency batch and Horizon hops at 60 minutes to reach 20 IBUs. The goal being a clean flavorless bitterness to offset corn sweetness. mashing bonedry.

Funny about the store run in!

Are you using flaked corn?

Im brewing the cream of the crops recipe soon because everyone i know loves cream ales. When i first started i couldnt stand cream ales. Now they go down like water. im not a fan of corn in my beer.

I have a citra smash and galaxy smash going . How high did you take the ibu's up? and what times did you do hop additions

I have to plug in my numbers into Promash but I'm thinking of doing 2 similar batches:

1. FWH, 60, 45, 30, 15, 5 minutes

2. 60, 45, 30, 15, 5 minutes...no FWH

Still deciding on the IBU's

The SMaSH I did tonight was with some left over ingredients, 2# 2-row, 11 grams German Hallertau Hops and S-04 yeast.

Plus, I got to use the new corona mill and I got pretty close to gravities:rockin:

I just built myself a 2 gallon mash tun so I can begin learning the ins and outs of all grain brewing w/o spending a fortune going full size. So right now im looking for some simple recipes to cut my teeth on.

BigRock947 said:
I've been using 1 gallon glass jugs and 2-gallons buckets...

5-gallon better bottle: 3 gallons easy....probably 4 with a blow-off tube set-up

Thanks... I don't have the room or infrastructure for full size AG batches or fermentation (damn apartment living) , but smaller batches, maybe starting with a 4 gallon boil to get down to 3.5 by primary would be a good intermediate step.

so a smash sounds so easy now.
for a one gallon batch i could use 2lbs of 2row and a hop at thats it. i may have to try that.

If you need help setting up the recipe let me know what hops you go with ad the AA on them and i can prepare you a smash recipe

I have just pured in a third of the container and recapped it and put it in the fridge, I had no problem.

BTW BBS has a book of 52 [I think] 1 gallon batch recipies, it seems it even has some seasonals. Might well be worth a look, if one has the extra cash

just curious when you used the liquid yeast and recap it...did you let the entire container warm up to room temperature first then you put the rest of the container back in the fridge? or did you warm up just the 1/3 of the container?

Side note: The SWMBO is out fighting the masses on Black Friday. I gave her a side mission: whenever she sees a bakery at the big box stores she needs to ask for any 2-gallon buckets with lids. IF she scores a bunch then my Christmas would be off to a good start. I did score a 2-G bucket with lid at my SuperTarget last weekend.:ban:

Free is better, but you can buy them at HD in the paint dept.

My LHBS charges $6.00 for bucket and lid for comparison.

Paint buckets at HD are a lot cheaper, but no rubber grommet. I've been using them for about a year and don't see the need for the grommet. CO2 forms all the barrier you need.

Hmmm got to thinking, what are you talking about w/grommet in lid? The one that makes a tight seal or something else?

just curious when you used the liquid yeast and recap it...did you let the entire container warm up to room temperature first then you put the rest of the container back in the fridge? or did you warm up just the 1/3 of the container?

I pitched mine cold:cross:

C-Rider said:
Paint buckets at HD are a lot cheaper, but no rubber grommet. I've been using them for about a year and don't see the need for the grommet. CO2 forms all the barrier you need.

Hmmm got to thinking, what are you talking about w/grommet in lid? The one that makes a tight seal or something else?

A lid with a hole and rubber gasket for an airlock.

dadshomebrewing said:
yo bmwmunk, I'm jealous... they look really good

jwalk4 said:
Damn, they made thirsty just looking at them. Nice work.

divrguy said:
Congrats bmwmunk, cheers!

Thanks y'all! The IPA turned out pretty darn good. It was the Brooklyn Brew kit. The Stout was a Sierra Nevada clone. It turned out more like a Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout. Very chocolaty and coffee. A little flat and strong. Still needs to age. But super tasty for a two week old beer. Hahaha

Has anyone noticed that fermentation goes insanely quick on these small batches. It seems I have 2 days of killer fermentation and then it clears super fast

Anybody have a fermometer on their gallon jugs? I have 4 empty gallon jugs that are going to be filled with lagers. Vienna, munich helles,doppelbock and tbd. my ferm chamber will go down to 54. im trying to figure out degree fermentation heat. im thinking it cant be to big due to low volume. i can add frozen milk jugs if needed. just wanted to check with you all to see if i can get a more specific degree number.

cheesecake said:
Has anyone noticed that fermentation goes insanely quick on these small batches. It seems I have 2 days of killer fermentation and then it clears super fast

Ive noticed this too. once its starts it is off to the races. now that i use mr malty the fermentation isnt as agressive but much quicker than my bigger batches.

Anybody have a fermometer on their gallon jugs? I have 4 empty gallon jugs that are going to be filled with lagers. Vienna, munich helles,doppelbock and tbd. my ferm chamber will go down to 54. im trying to figure out degree fermentation heat. im thinking it cant be to big due to low volume. i can add frozen milk jugs if needed. just wanted to check with you all to see if i can get a more specific degree number.

I use a fridge with a temp controller so I tape the controller to the side of the fermenter. One thing I find with small batches over big batches is that the small batches stay cool longer because there's less yeast activity to warm them back up.

When I tried unsuccessfully to go the swamp cooler route I had some of the aquarium temperature strips on the fermentors and that seemed to do a decent job.

I've been seriously considering doing 1 gallon brewing. Reading all the posts on his thread has convinced me to pursue it. Thanks, folks.

Ive noticed this too. once its starts it is off to the races. now that i use mr malty the fermentation isnt as agressive but much quicker than my bigger batches.

Ok so its not just me i brewed a batch last week and it was completely clear in 4 days. Ill probably transfer tonight to dry hop.

I've never had a problem with the swamp cooler method. That being said, I sure would like a fermentation chamber or fridge. (Come on Santa. Don't let me down!)

But, I keep the water around the fermenter in the high 50's for 4-5 days, or until the end of the attenuation phase. Afterwards, the fermenter sits in my basement where the ambient air temp is a steady 65F. I've never had a problem.

yep, especially since I started using the Mr. Malty yeast calculator.

starts slow (12 - 15 hours), but when it starts it GOES for about 2 to 2 1/2 days, and then it slows fast.

the blowoff tube is usually filled with gunk by late morning the day after brewday, and ready to come out completely in 4 days-ish.

hey, i'm getting ready to do my first porter.

can anybody think of any value, either way, of using Irish Moss in a porter to clear it?

either yes, or no?

TIA

So here is my next recipe, I don't normally drink IPAs but I'm trying to expand my horizons.

Anyway...

1-Gallon Warrior SMaSh:

2 lbs of Vienna Malt
2g FWH Warrior 16%AA
2g 45 min. " " "
2g 15 min. " " "
2g 0 min. " " "

1/4tsp Irish Moss @ 15 min. - clarifying

SG 1.059
IBU 97.1
Mash @ 155 for 60 min.
Boil for 60 min.

I may try this same recipe without the FWH.

Any thoughts on this recipe?

hey, i'm getting ready to do my first porter.

can anybody think of any value, either way, of using Irish Moss in a porter to clear it?

either yes, or no?

TIA

Other than helping to get the trub to settle faster or compact more then no...

I done both and I really couldn't tell if it helped or not. If you have some then why not....if you don't have any than I wouldn't give it a second thought about not using Irish Moss.

Back