1" couplers or nuts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bobby_M said:
If you need inside/outside threads though, The way I'd do it is to drill a 7/8" hole in the vessel, thread a 1/2" locknut all the way down a 1.5" long nipple and then solder the nut to the vessel and the nut to the nipple. Now you have 1/2" male threads on the inside and outside.....

I originally tried that but couldn't get the solder right. The welding spud soldered on much better for me.

While the spuds are almost exactly like a half coupling, you can actually get about a half turn on the interior side because the smallest OD of a 1/2" NPT male fitting is just smaller than the spud's thread on the tank side. I wouldn't use it for an important mechanical connection but you could thread a compression fitting in and solder it to the spud if you wanted to.

If you need inside/outside threads though, The way I'd do it is to drill a 7/8" hole in the vessel, thread a 1/2" locknut all the way down a 1.5" long nipple and then solder the nut to the vessel and the nut to the nipple. Now you have 1/2" male threads on the inside and outside.... or just use my weldless bulkhead with integrated diptube.

So, the locknut would be on the inside?

Actually, just this morning, I put an order in for your weldless bulkhead and a couple other things. I'm going to use weldless for the main drain then weld a spud for the 1/4" sightglass fitting and eventually a 1" spud for the future element.

Thanks and keep up the good work on all your videos!

Kevin

I'd put the locknut outside the vessel. 1/2" locknuts are small enough that there won't be too much of a gap due to the curve of the pot or keg. Of course, the ideal thing would be to do a little machining work to put a concave on the back of the locknut, even if it's crudely done with a bench grinder, just to have a little more surface contact with the curved wall. However, I know it works as is if you use Harris #8.

Yes, silver bearing solder with a reasonable %Ag makes it much easier to fill the gap especially with 1" locknuts.

The benefit (for me) of the coupler is that is is what I used to secure my weatherproof box. I dimpled the 1" coupler through a stainless blank, then dimpled through my kettle wall. Silver soldered everything up and leak tested. It makes for a 0 ohm ground lug connection in the box. It was quite a bit of work, but I really liked the strength of the coupler dimpled in the kettle.

I was prepared to tap the 1" coupler to NPS threads, but when I ran the camco 5500 ripple through it easily tightened all the way down to the rubber gasket.

Here's a picture showing what I'm talking about:
20120225_173617.jpg

I know this is an old thread...but I was wondering...so you silver soldered the welding spud to the kettle and the box faceplate to the spud...then just screwed the camco into it with the stock rubber gasket? then just attached the box to the faceplate?

That last photo you show is not my setup. Mine uses a 1/2" welding spud for the ball valve. The photo you show is a pipe coupler soldered to a keg and to a electrical faceplate.

How about a tri clover fitting ? This setup is a dream for e kettles . Simply unclamp it to take the element out. Can also end cap it and use on a regular burner. Your not married to electric only.

How about a tri clover fitting ? This setup is a dream for e kettles . Simply unclamp it to take the element out. Can also end cap it and use on a regular burner. Your not married to electric only.

After welding some 1" npt half couplers to my keg, I will agree with this. I wish I went tri clover so I could easily take them out and cap them off for propane, or just easily remove for cleaning.

How did you attach the tri clover ferrule to the pot?

Back