1/4 barrel converted to pin cask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Endurancefuel

Reaction score
Anyone converted a 1/4 barrel keg to a pin keg for cask conditioning/serving? Seems like a couple well-placed holes and a cask tap would do the trick. I'm sure it's been done here, but I couldn't find any threads.
Thanks

I doubt that you would get the same effect as a typical firkin type keg. Most cask kegs have a wide ring in the middle of them so that yeast can settle in the groove and you won't end up with an extremely yeasty beer.

While converting a 1/4 barrel may work somewhat, it's not going to be perfect.

Slightly off topic...what about cask dispensing from a corney?

The thing is...other than a fancy keg...serving homebrew on tap is technically cask ale. Cask ale is beer that's carbonated without the use of CO2, so even adding priming sugar to a finished beer and carbonating in the keg would still give you a caskish beer.

Slightly off topic...what about cask dispensing from a corney?

That's all I do actually. I serve all my cask beer with the corny. I ended up shelling out some money and had a real beer engine shipped over from England and it works great with the corny. I also don't use sugar for carbonation. I let the beer carbonate on it's own.

That's all I do actually. I serve all my cask beer with the corny. I ended up shelling out some money and had a real beer engine shipped over from England and it works great with the corny. I also don't use sugar for carbonation. I let the beer carbonate on it's own.

Using sugar shouldn't effect the flavor of a cask beer. You're still carbonating through fermentation.

Using sugar shouldn't effect the flavor of a cask beer. You're still carbonating through fermentation.

Exactly right. It doesn't affect the flavor at all. I've just found that racking the beer to the corny when it is 2 pts from Final Gravity will give me the perfect carbonation level I want.

Did you go through with the conversion from 1/4 barrel to cask? Do you have any photo's of where you put the bung hole and breather.

Also where can I buy the bung holes and breather parts.

Thanks to all for any info here or email [email protected]

Cheers.

The keg was gone before I could buy it from CL. I think it would work though. If you drilled the tap hole above the base of the keg, as you would converting a sanke to keggle, it would allow enough space for the yeast to settle. And if the original opening would accept the bung you'd be all set. Northern brewer sells the parts ( I'm sure others do also, buts that's where I saw them) they actually have a photo of a cask that is standing upright ( instead of on it's side as I'm used to seeing) and it doesn't look much different than a 1/4 barrel.

Back